Did anyone of you open an account with one the biggest german banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone been into a branch in frankfurt? Or have a relevant e mail address? It's a nightmare trying to ring and sort out an appointment.

I flew mid Oct Aer Lingus Dublin Berlin-Schonfeld 07.30 returned next eve Via Ryanair 19.05, train 300m from airport €3 ea way into Friedrichstrausse station. I had a DKB account opened online in Sept, went to Deutsche Bank opened 12 month 2% account with a flexi acc linked for online use. Also opened with Berliner Sparkasse beside station, current acc €2 month but they deposited €24 into it(yr free) when I was deposting 50k with them into 1.5% savings acc. When there I also got Postident done for VW(2.5%) and 1822Direkt (2.25%) I completed online, brought the forms with me. City bus tour recommended. PS I dont speak 10 words of German but managed quite easily in the Post Office and 2 banks.

Looks like I'll have to go with Berlin as Frankfurt Deutsche Bank will only deal with customers with 100K or more - and I aint that rich.
So I am arranging an appointment with DB on Unter Den Linden in a week's time or so.
As I'm over there - I might as well and try to open others.
I've dropped off a few emails in part German / part English - to Berliner Sparkasse, 1822Direkt and VW. I'm hoping that will deal with me in English.

Did you make appointments with any of these banks mentioned? Or did you just turn up at a branch - would you mind stating which branches you visited for these banks in Berlin - seeing as they dealt with you in English and opened your accounts here successfully.

Also interesting site here: [broken link removed]

Did you ring them?

My Dad who is traveling to Germany to do the same, rang them in Dublin.
+353 1 680 6000
http://www.ifsc.ie/company.aspx?idcategory=71&idcompany=1188

He initially asked could he open an account without traveling to Germany and go to the Dublin office instead (send documents by post). This was not possible so he was transferred to Frankfurt (as he requested this).
But the Frankfurt branch although helpful stated that a min of 100K is required on deposit to open an account. At this point they mentioned that Berlin could be willing to help (for our needs - aka smaller deposits). He was given contact details and he rang them. They are willing to assist. So we are now arranging flights and have to get back to them to confirm an appointment.

I opened a DKB current account online through Google chrome which translates the webpage to English then printed off the documents and had to take them to a Notary who confirmed my identity and address charging me €50, it took approx 3 wks while DKB checked out all this and another 2 wks before I got my visa, bank card and TAN numbers for internet banking. After all this I was able to fill out online documents for 1822direkt and Volkswagen bank, you need a German current account number to fill in for these banks so as to facilitate transfers out through online banking, then you again print these forms which have barcodes for Postident and bring to a German Post office. Then I went to Berlin to the Post office with my passport and bank statement for address confirmation. Other option would be to open German current account in person then apply online in Germany and print out forms for Postident while there in an internet Café.
Deutsche Bank branch is opposite Zoologischer Garten Station and Beliner Sparkasse Branch is beside Friedrichstausse Station 2 stops away, I had no appointments made, just dropped in.

I opened a DKB current account online through Google chrome which translates the webpage to English then printed off the documents and had to take them to a Notary who confirmed my identity and address charging me €50, it took approx 3 wks while DKB checked out all this and another 2 wks before I got my visa, bank card and TAN numbers for internet banking. After all this I was able to fill out online documents for 1822direkt and Volkswagen bank, you need a German current account number to fill in for these banks so as to facilitate transfers out through online banking, then you again print these forms which have barcodes for Postident and bring to a German Post office. Then I went to Berlin to the Post office with my passport and bank statement for address confirmation. Other option would be to open German current account in person then apply online in Germany and print out forms for Postident while there in an internet Café.
Deutsche Bank branch is opposite Zoologischer Garten Station and Beliner Sparkasse Branch is beside Friedrichstausse Station 2 stops away, I had no appointments made, just dropped in.

Thanks for the info.

So if I understand you correctly:
1) DKB can be opened remotely without travel but requires a Notary and using google translate for German communication? You can find this on their site? Link?
2) 1822direkt and Volkswagen require a German current a/c when filling in the application online. Would you have the links to these forms please? Once you have these forms - you just turn up at the branches??? Or do you need appointments?
3) Postident - You arrive in person and present your passport and a bank statement - which is from one of the above banks that you've opened?
4) Beliner Sparkasse - You can just turn up at this branch? No appointment?
5) Deutsche Bank - I've an appointment made, so this should hopefully be straightforward.

Sorry for breaking it down to points - but as the flights are expensive and my time is limited - I'm going to try and maximise my efforts over there.

1. Correct can open from Ireland, but you need to download Google Chrome(use search engine, its an alternative browser, use instead of Internet Explorer which translates web pages as you open them). dkb.de (add www)
2.finanzen-informationsportal.de/bankkonten/tagesgeldkonten-vergleich.php (just add www at start). there is no branches you bring the printed barcoded forms to german post office, i.e. Postident
3. As above, with your passport and statement for id.
4. correct, Marco is English speaking guy.

My Dad who is traveling to Germany to do the same, rang them in Dublin.
+353 1 680 6000
http://www.ifsc.ie/company.aspx?idcategory=71&idcompany=1188

He initially asked could he open an account without traveling to Germany and go to the Dublin office instead (send documents by post). This was not possible so he was transferred to Frankfurt (as he requested this).
But the Frankfurt branch although helpful stated that a min of 100K is required on deposit to open an account. At this point they mentioned that Berlin could be willing to help (for our needs - aka smaller deposits). He was given contact details and he rang them. They are willing to assist. So we are now arranging flights and have to get back to them to confirm an appointment.

I thought I read it earlier in theis thread that this figure is for Private banking accounts or something like this and not Retail bank accounts. The fact he was put through from Dublin might explain this. Others seem to have opened accounts in DB Frankfurt with alot less. See posts 342 and 343 p18.

Yes it may be possible and the reason why. However at this stage I have an appointment with DB in Berlin and my flights are booked - so I will just go with this option.

Did you manage to open any German accounts?

Hi Jiblet-run - Which DB bank branch in Berlin are you going to?

To the general public, can you open a current account while in German. I see people saying that you need a current account to transfer money back out but I presume you can open a current account when you are there.

Thanks.

It's the one on Unter den Linden. That's the main street in Berlin, if you're not familiar with the city.

Travelling to Germany shortly and may open bank account(s) when I'm there for my hard earned money. Security is what I'm after. Was thinking of using Deutch Bank. Anyone know how strong/risky they are? Currently have some savings in Keytrade in Belgium, are they even more risky both in terms of a Bank and the possible break up of the Euro? Thanks in advance.

If Deutsche Bank share price is falling - what does it indicate about confidence in that bank?

Thanks - I take it this means the reducing share price is reflecting lower perceived value of the bank due to likely increased levels of bad debt.

I guess so. - As one of the main German Banks it must be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back