Paid neighbour for faulty car which he has taken back and won't return money.

Parazard

I bought a car in good faith from my next door neighbour who swore it was fine. Long story short the car was not ok at all so he apologised, agreed to take it back and refund the money to me. He took the car back about 10 days ago but of course there's no sign of the money ( he keeps coming up with excuses). I've no idea where the car is either and it's still registered in my name (I just about got to put it in my name). He is also moving this week...
Do I get my name off the car as quickly as I can or is the car being in my name the only chance I have to try and get the money or the car back if he does not give it to me?

Please help!

No offence Parazard but either you are incredibly trusting or incredibly naive - either way as Sue Ellen said, you should immediately contact the gardai for advice. On the one hand your neighbour could have said it was a case of buyer beware and left you with the car but given that they agreed to take it back, you should never have let them do so without refunding the money at the same time - especially if they are now leaving the area!

Absolutely aware of the risks from the outset alright but I suppose was hopeful that there could still be some good faith around and one could trust one's neighbour...price paid for trusting thy neighbour and more faith lost in humanity alright.

What's the time line between the purchase and the problem. The original seller might not have done anything wrong here if he sold it without knowning there was a problem. It was up to Parazard to get it checked out in advance. I think the AA does this service.

Do I get my name off the car as quickly as I can or is the car being in my name the only chance I have to try and get the money or the car back if he does not give it to me?

Please help!

Definitely better in your name imo. I'd be telling this guy in no uncertain terms that unless he comes up with the refund or gives the car back pronto you're ringing the guards, which you should do.

Bad luck to be in this position.

Always told never buy a car from someone you know.....will always end up with problems or bad blood.

BTW , Parazard - is that a shortened version of paranoid and hazard?

Thank you all for the advice (yes indeed paranoid about hazard valparaiso) and here's the update:

1) Gardai advised to contact a solicitor as it would be a civil matter. They also told me that by telling a solicitor there would be a sworn statement regarding the status of the car, which would stand should any issues re usage of the car emerge.

2) Solicitor advised to:
- put in writing that I did not give my consent for anyone to drive my car and
- that unless the monies were paid within 5 days the car would be reported stolen.
- He said that because the agreement to purchase was made on the basis that the car was free of fault, he is in breach of our contract and therefore has to return the money. he said this would indeed stand legally.
Bronte:it was 3 days when I found out about the tyres being faulty and 7 before another fault showed up.

3) As I got home ready to go over to my neighbour and charge with all of the above he called over to me and gave me part of the money with (hopefully) the rest by next week.

There you go...some faith restored for now.

Back