what audio device to get?

terrysgirl33

Hi, I would like to get a device to listen to music (one that I can transfer CDs to), radio and podcasts on. I don't know much about MP3, MP4 or iPod devices! I have one from Lidl that was OK, but it didn't seem to hold a lot of music.

Can anyone recommend a player and/or a place to buy these things?

I would recommend the Apple iPod range. Order online on the Irish Apple Store or buy from most electronics retailers.

Apple iPod Touch 16GB €249
Apple iPod Nano 16GB €169
Apple iPod Shuffle 2GB €49
Apple iPod Classic 160GB €269

Considering you're new to digital players I would recommend the Ipod Nano for you. It's middle of the range in price with decent memory for music storage.

Last edited:
Have an iPod Nano 7th Gen and it has a radio. Works great.

Dropped it a significant amount of times and it appears to be indestrucable.

Sansa Clip looks like good value but 8gb is limited storage wise (dependant obviously on how much you consider a lot of music).

I'm a big fan of the Sansa Clip, too. The allows you to extend the storage up to 40GB (with a 32GB microSD card) — but my 8-year-old (slotless) model just keeps on working, so I've never had an excuse to upgrade.

I have a Sansa Clip as well, and a couple of others. Mostly use my Apple iPhone now. Apple's music players, though, somewhere along the line got the reputation for being "the" music player of choice -- they are generally nicely designed, but way overpriced (in my opinion) for what they are.

Agree with dub_nerd, Apple are good but over priced. There are plenty of other companies who produce similarly effective devices for a lot less cash. Archos, Creative, whatever.

Also, if you're prepared to spend money on a player, check when you'll need a new phone and maybe get a phone with decent capacity instead. The music playing ability doesn't vary much, it's mostly in the headphones IMO

The iPod nano 7th generation (latest model) has a radio.

Whats the battery life on the that like?

I have a Sansa Zip (newer clip) find I like the buttons better than the clip. Great sound. The radio is a little bit better but the radio isn't patch on the Fm radio on my Sony walkman. The Zip has the same charger as a mobile phone. Very handy.

I have a Sony Walkman 8gb MP3, with FM radio. Good sound, lots of space (so far!) for my music, radio quality is good, and battery life is decent.

Bought in Argos for under 100 euro if I recall.

Back