Speeding Fine.

horse

Hi Folks,
I will keep this as short as possible - A friend of mine who is retired was travelling into Cork City by car and was approaching an area where traffic slows down from 100kmh to 60kmh to allow merging traffic safely blend in with current traffic.
In the distance my friend who was car seven in a succession of cars noticed a Garda Speed Check up ahead. While continuing his speed controlled by the cars in front he was beckoned by the Garda as he approached the Checkpoint to pull over for questioning.
On stopping his car the Garda took down his details and informed my friend that he had exceed the speed limit which was 60kph by 26kph doing 86kph which my friend disputes.
In the interaction with the Garda, the Garda proceeded to the front of the Vehicle and took down the Reg No. of the vehicle.
Subsequently my friend received a letter in the post for €80.00 and 2 points on his licence.
The question is - my friend dsputes doing 86KMH in a 60kmh zone and on asking the garda why he was pulled in - the reply he got was hat they always catch at least one.
Can he request evidence that he broke the law as this does not seem evident?
Thanks in advance for your replies!!

My considered opinion would be to pay the fine and move on.Your insurance doesn't increase with 2 pts on your license and you risk getting 4 in court.
Also you haven't stated that your friend was not speeding!

Thanks for your opinion Van Driver - but my friend doesn't consider that he was driving at 86 kmh, but the Guard in question deems him to have broken the law. Should this not be substantiated with evidence?

was there not some court case recently where speeding fines were thrown out for a reason I forget: it was in Irish Times

was there not some court case recently where speeding fines were thrown out for a reason I forget: it was in Irish Times

I'd imagine you are referring to this. However, that relates to "go safe" vans whereas OP is referring to traffic corps stop.

I'd imagine you are referring to this. However, that relates to "go safe" vans whereas OP is referring to traffic corps stop.

Thanks, as I said I couldn't remember, old age etc.

However reading the first post again
"...While continuing his speed controlled by the cars in front..."

Was this a Google car?

My experience of this, when prosecuted for careless driving in the wrong in 1980, as told to me by a lawyer who is now a Supreme court judge, is that the system wont work unless the judge believes the Garda, so unless there is a legal requirement to show the speed in hard copy then just pay-up.

Sorry to hear about your friend, it sounds very unfair and only something that could happen in Ireland, your friend was just unlucky, the Garda should have done the first car, it is hard to see how he got a reading on the speed gun on a car in the middle of a line of cars doing a similar pace.

That said pay up as it seems he was cruising about the 60 limit, chalk it down.

Your insurance doesn't increase with 2 pts on your license and you risk getting 4 in court.
Also you haven't stated that your friend was not speeding!
I have 2 points and Aviva increased my insurance, this is their policy.
I does seem wrong though that you can get another 2 points just for challenging it and the insurance then takes it as 4 points

I have 2 points and Aviva increased my insurance, this is their policy.
Practically all insurance companies issue renewals with increased premiums. However, Aviva have become particularly notorious in their increases as this shows.

By all accounts, drivers with 2 points are deemed a safer insurance risk than those without any. However, if drivers go beyond 2, then premiums should rise - as they are then deemed to be in the higher risk bracket.

In the event of someone asking for a link to underscore the above, I don't have one to hand - but have read it previously on a couple of occasions. Perhaps someone else can verify....

roker said:
I does seem wrong though that you can get another 2 points just for challenging it and the insurance then takes it as 4 points
Seems like its structured conveniently for the courts services - so that they are not swamped....although I agree completely with you.

In the case of the OP, I'd feel equally aggrieved. Notwithstanding that, it sounds like he was exceeding the speed limit. Just because 1 (or 6..) other driver in front of him was exceeding the speed limit doesn't make it right (and that's from someone with (currently at least...) 4 points. :-(

Back