Painting/decorating

bobjim

Hi,
I've recently been made redundant from my job and am thinking of switching to something completely different. I've always actually liked painting and decorating my own home so ws thinking of trying to make a business out of it. A couple of people have already asked me to do some painting in their homes (since I have plenty of free time!) and I may take them up on it. However, I have no idea what to charge them - do 'professional' painters have any sort of scale i.e. so much per square meter or per room or on how long it will take? Or do they simply charge anything they want??:)

Also, are there any short-term courses available that might show me the proper methods? I've seen a few courses that run into years and they're not for me!

TIA for any info.

Thanks,
Bobjim

I had a painter in recently, he charged €200 per room, standard 4 bed semi. I had to buy the wall paint but he supplied the paint for woodwork. This price did not include doors or radiators. I had the whole house(inside) painted 2 years ago and was charged €2000 not including any paint but including all doors and radiators. Both painters were professionals who had done apprenticeships and knew a lot about paint. I've had the outside of the house painted by an untrained person and was happy enough with this but unless I knew someone personally I'd be reluctant to allow an untrained painter inside - too much potential for collateral damage. If you're any good at wallpapering you might try that out as well, it's impossible to get people to wallpaper and it's becomming very fashionable.

Back