Tax paid when you have children?

C

chopper

my workmate and I both work the same hours and have the same gross pay per week but his net pay is always a lot more than mine he says its because he is claiming tax for his daughter?what does this mean he only sees his daughter once a week yet i have 2 kids that live with me and my partner full time and my wages are a lot less than his?could someone please explain this to me and can i do anything similar that would affect my tax payments.
thanks for any help

Could he be claiming one parent family tax credit? As far as I know you can get this even if your child isn't living with you full-time.

Rules

The One-Parent Family Tax Credit is available to a widowed, separated, deserted or unmarried parent who is not living together with a partner. If you are entitled to the Married Person’s tax credit then you cannot claim the One-Parent Family tax credit.
The child must live with you and be either:
  • Under 18
  • Over 18 and in full-time education or
  • Any age if they became permanently incapacitated when under 21 or in full-time education or training.
The child may be an adopted child, a stepchild or any child that you support and have custody of.
Both parents may claim One-Parent Family tax credit (and tax rate) if they both meet the above conditions and the child resides with them for some part of the tax year.

Rate 2010
The One-Parent Family Tax Credit is €1,830 per year.

In my experience if th child livrd with you for part of the week and your ex the other Revenue can split the credit you would need to contact your local Revenue Office

In my experience if th child livrd with you for part of the week and your ex the other Revenue can split the credit you would need to contact your local Revenue Office

Revenue dont split it, both parents get the full credit.

Seems to discriminate against parents who live together with their children! So much for supporting a family environment!

Back