New gearbox continually at fault - any comeback

Setanta12

Hi All,

Long story short; had to prep car for NCT in the Summer and a holiday on the continent (long milage), two mechanics gave two quotes and I went with the lesser quote. Car passed NCT.

New gearbox, clutch and flywheel giving intermittent problems where I can't get out of gear, or when I do it refuses to get into gear. Problem as I can't reverse.

I discovered recently that the mechanic was 'minding' the garage while the boss was away, that the talk of bleeding the gears (!) was nonsensical etc etc. Cue to yesterday evening on way home and car wouldn't get into gear for a few minutes in the middle of traffic (as if there weren't enough problems in traffic yesterday evening) and this morning when car wouldn't get into gear and was making all sorts of loud noises when trying to engage the correct gear.

My car is a brick; what are my rights?

So am looking for it to be brought in and repaired; mechanic asked that I get my insurance company to bring it in. Trouble is my insurance company only covers things like this, breakdowns etc 2kms from home.

So mechanic is discussing with his boss to see what they can/can't do for me.

They got back to me and will cover cost of tow and problems to do with the work they carried out. They stressed any other problems I would cover the cost of.
Spoke to a friend/mechanic down the country who said all sounded like clutch problems. Asked to see it to give a definitive view; I said I wouldn't be able to drive the 100 miles down there in first/second gear, if I managed to get it into those gears !

(If anyone wants the name of these D3 mechanics; please PM me)

Yeah, don't go near your insurance company or any breakdown service. Problem is theirs to resolve.

Fair enough any problems unrelated to the work they carried out should be excluded here, but you are entitled to what you paid for. So they need to fix the clutch/gearbox issue, and any damage directly caused by the poor initial job.

Lesson for the future, don't tolerate intermittent issues, report them asap as this strengthens your case should you need to take legal action down the line.

Let us know what they find and we'll advise from there.

Hi, experiencing real pushback from them over the phone. I arranged for the car to be dropped off to them Fri, and they said they hoped to work on it Sat/today (Mon). I rang earlier this morning as I need it to go home. Took a lift into work.

I got a real sense of causing trouble and they couldn't know when the car would be fixed. Told to wait for the bossman to get into work close to lunch before I would get an update. Had hoped I could collect at lunch .. .. ..

Hi, experiencing real pushback from them over the phone. I arranged for the car to be dropped off to them Fri, and they said they hoped to work on it Sat/today (Mon). I rang earlier this morning as I need it to go home. Took a lift into work.

I got a real sense of causing trouble and they couldn't know when the car would be fixed. Told to wait for the bossman to get into work close to lunch before I would get an update. Had hoped I could collect at lunch .. .. ..

A stern mention of a letter from my solicitor and court worked very well for myself in the past when it was a business giving my wife the run around over her car.

It sounds to me as if all the discussion to date has been with the mechanic rather than the garage owner. You need to speak to the owner directly on this issue and highlight the fact that you could have been involved in a accident as a result of this negligent work. There is hassle in getting a solicitor involved, but you may need to bring this out as an option if you don't get satisfaction.

Cue to today.

Car has been with mechanic & garage-owner since last week. Apparently since the tow-truck left it with them, it has been running fine with no issues.

Bear in mind, it was most definitely very unsafe last Friday morning. I couldn't get into gear without extreme difficulty and couldn't get out of gear without same extreme difficulty.

Garage-owner said he had checked the mechanic's work, and apparently has take it for a few spins. His line is he needs it to happen under his watch so he can see whats wrong with it.

I need the car. So will be picking it up today. Likely I will be expected to cover the cost of the tow.

Next steps .. ... ... .... ???

(Initially the car was left with garage to be fixed up for impending overdue NCT and continental holiday in the Summer. Car has passed two NCTs, July and 3 weeks ago, but the problems date from work done by the garage that first time and their gearbox/clutch/flywheel installed. They know where the fault lies - in the parts- but they don't know the exact problem)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, picked up my car.

Garage-owner said he'd and another mechanic drive my car around for in excess of an hour but the problem never re-surfaced. He reckons it could be the slave-canister or the B-canister (or similar such names); the latter being in the clutch and operates similar to a bicycle pump and the other is in the gearbox itself.

I had to take the car. He is offering a replacement car free of charge until the problem resurfaces. Apparently he has to be there when it happens. This intermittent problem of mine surfaces about once every 3 weeks.

I could avail of this offer next week. Or should I cut my losses and get in another garage. Car drove perfectly when I picked it up.

Or should I cut my losses and get in another garage. Car drove perfectly when I picked it up.

I'd be thinking of another garage. You have to be able to trust your mechanic in my opinion.
I left a previous mechanic because he was a chancer. I should have brought him to court but I was too soft. I have a very trustworthy guy now.

Perhaps get the opinion of another (recommended if at all possible) mechanic. If the second guy says it is a very difficult issue to diagnose, then stick with the first offer.

Back