Advice please regarding replacement engine

Christinexxx

Hi,
I have recently had trouble with a car I bought. It is a 2005 Ford Focus Zetec 1.4. I brought it to my local garage and he said that the head gasket was gone. He told me I had two options. First option was to replace the engine. The second option was to replace the head gasket, timing belt, water pump and carry out a full service including spark plugs. I asked him which he thought I should do. He said that the second option would be the cheaper way of doing it and that the car would run perfect after this work was done. He quoted me 730 Euro and this included parts and labour. After being in the garage for three days he contacted me this evening to tell me that when they tried to start the car they noticed that a ring was stuck in the third cylinder. He said that he had put stuff in it that might help and he would have to wait and try to start it again in the morning but that it might need a new engine. I could do with any advice from anyone who understands what might have happened or if any of this makes sense. I am due to speak to him tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply. Going on the information from that link it seems that it is the piston ring that is stuck in the cylinder. But should the mechanic have done a compression test on the cylinders before he carried out all this work ?. e.g changing the head gasket. To see if it was worth while carrying out the work. Especially when i asked if it would have been better to change the engine to begin with and he advised me that the car would be running perfect after he carried out the work

Honestly I don't have an answer to that question. Maybe there are some AAM people who know more who can help...

What I will say is that I find it strange that to fix it, he *had* to replace the timing belt also. If he had said that the timing belt needed to be changed, and it was easier to do both jobs at same time, that'd make more sense to me. But perhaps someone else can explain why if head gasket gone, timing belt also has to be replaced.

The timing belt has to be removed to replace the water pump so it usual to do both at the same time, the timing belt requires removal to take the cylinder head off, but renewal of the water pump and timing belt is not a requirement of head gasket replacement unless is it is in bad condition.
A head gasket does not require a new engine, sometimes the head may need skimming on a machine to make it level before fitting a new gasket, especially if the engine has overheated.
I cannot see why the ring could stick unless they have allowed water to enter the cylinder when removing the head and not cleaned it which would rust the ring to the bore if left for any time. They seem to be laying it on with a service as well, It certainly looks suspicious.

The Timing Belt and water pump needed to be replaced as they were long over due as was a service. But what i cant understand is the car was running and driving fine no overheating but after they carried out the work which included skimming the head and replacing the bolts only when they went to start the car the the piston ring was jammed in the cylinder. How did this happen ?. Now there saying if it cant be unstuck the cheapest option is to replace the engine..Which ill have to pay for the work already carried out and now to replace the engine on top of that just does'n seem to add up..
Thanks for your advice..

If not rusted as explained, It could be that the timing is wrong after replacing the belt, causing the piston to hit an open valve which locks the engine. If done at speed it can damage the engine

Back