Sole trader accounts software

gabsdot

I run a very small business, (a preschool) with one employee. I want to make my own tax return this year. Can someone recommend some good software for accountants and payroll.
Also is it really acceptable (and simple) to make a tax return on ROS yourself. I've heard anecdotally that're more likely to be audited if you don't use an accountant. is that true .
I've used an accountant in the past but he's too expensive now and I can't justify it so I'm going solo.
Thanks

1) Collsoft payroll is fairly easy to use, for accounts just use manual records & word/excel for presentation.

2) Its acceptable (simple depends on your circumstances), the likelyhood of an audit is dependent on if mistakes are made, industry sector and past compliance history, there also a small likelyhood of random selection

3) think of a reasonable amount that you would be willing to pay and ask you accountant if they will accept it, feel free to PM me if they say no.

There's loads of freeware accounts software available. Just google it, but be careful that you look for Irish or Uk freeware, as the US stuff is not very suitable. Then you have the Proprietory stuff. Quickbooks, Sage, Sort My Books, Exchequer, Big Red Book, etc,etc. Do your research and go for whatever you find is most suitable for your circumstances.

From my own past experience, if you are going to use an accountant as well for some tasks, ask your accountant what he/she recommends so that you can use a compatible system.

If your setup is straightforward perhaps a set of spreadsheets would be sufficient- your accountant may have a set to give you already. I found learning the accounting software I bought took a lot of time I'd have better used doing what earned me money (Quickbooks was the program).

Whatever you decide, good luck and make plenty of money!

Sage are doing a free download of their small business software at the moment - free for companies with less than 5 employees I think. They're giving away TAS Books Basic which I've been using (for free!) for a few months. Very easy and intuitive to use.

Try Sage Quickpay. Its free for the first 5 employees and they provide free support. I use it and it's good.

For general accounts I'd recommend QuickBooks - its not free but worth it.

Back