Motor Car insurance, policy amendments

ken v

Hi guys,

I hope you can help with what is supposed to be an easy question.

I have been with the same car insurer for 5 years, recently was up for renewal so I received a quote which I accepted. Never had accidents or claims.

After accepting, with their last letter they sent with the insurance disk there was a policy schedule and a new document, new format this year of statement of facts.

On the statement of fact, it read that the policy was for an estimate of 10,000 km per year.
I checked immediately and I might have driven an average of 10,500 km a year over the last 5 years: some years I drove 9,000 km (last) some other a little over 11,000.

I made an average over 5 years and comes out at around 10,500 km. I had never paid too much attention to how much I was driving because on none of the documents they sent me before there was a figure.

I called the insurer, explained it as clear as I could and request a change on the policy to 15,000km per year, which they did. They also provided a new statement of fact.

My question is if in case of issue or claim they can refuse to pay because of this even if I amended the policy? Or once they are notified and the policy is amended I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks a lot for your answer.

So, I understand that once the policy is corrected and the insurer accepts the correction everything is OK.

Hi Again,

After reviewing the whole documentation I noticed another mistake on the policy, in this case they were applying a small discount that wouldn't any longer apply to me, this has been going on now for years. (I started to fear that everytime I look at it I find something wrong!! :) )

I called the insurer and pointed out the issue I also mentioned that this shouldn't have been applied in the first place. The agent agreed that the discount should not be applied, amended the policy but as a good will gesture waive the difference in the premium. In this case such issue is not anywhere on the statement of facts.

I also offered to pay up for the difference on the premium(s) but they say there was no need.

If I understand correctly, this means that I am in the clear but I wonder if I shall I get this in written?

Thanks again....

Back