Home Apartment Block Insurance Question

ELG

Hi everyone,

I have a query regarding the Block Insurance on apartment blocks.

I have a severe leak in my unit that is coming into my apartment from outside the four walls. The Management Company have been notified and will come to have a look tomorrow, however I am not familiar with block insurance or what I am entitled to.

The smell today has become unbearable, possibly sewage water, the leak is confined to the kitchen so we are unable to cook, use the washing machine, dryer etc. Today I have pulled up all of the floors and the water damage goes all the way through to the sitting room.

My girlfriend wants to stay in a hotel tonight, just around the corner from our apartment. I have tried contacting the Management Company today but cant get through to anyone, Sundays!

Are we likely to be refunded for these expensive?

Does anyone else have any advice for us or how these situations usually play out?

Thanks in advance.

You should have cover for repair of the building damage assuming it is an escape of water from a pipe. Alternative accommodation should also be covered but it depends on the wording. You will need to claim off your own contents policy for any of your contents damage which may include your floor coverings depending on what they are

Bear in mind that most excesses relating to water damage claims on apartments tend to be 2500 +!

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Yes it is an escape of water from a pipe coming from the units above mine. I can hear the water hit my ceiling before leaking out of a corner in my kitchen.

Did I read that right, that I will need to replace the damaged floors at my own expensive/excess despite the leak coming from outside my unit? If the leak is the result of an upstairs unit am I entitled to claim from their insurance or in the case if the leak coming rain water via the roof is it not possible to claim/sue the management company for the cost of replacing the floors?

No. Kkelliher said "floor coverings" i.e if you have carpet or floors down that were other than what was in there when you moved in they are unlikely to be covered under the block policy and should be a matter for your own contents policy.

You are member of the managament company so you will have a hard time suing yourself.

Just becase water comes into your unit from another does not make it the "fault" of the other unit owner unless it was as a result of neglegence which is unlikely to be the case in an escape of water situation. An accident is what it says on the tin and unfortunatly you have to deal with the consequences yourself even though you may feel hard done by. The joy of living in an apartment unfortunatly

Back