Motor Tesco/RSA Incompetance

Standeman

I was stationary at the lights of Herbert Park/Morehampton Road back in August last year and a Q7 went into the back of me. I tried to be reasonable with the lady driver and said I would get a couple of quotes and get back to her. Her insurance disc was out of date but she assured me that insurance was in place.

Unfortunately, she started to question the quotes (c. €450). She texted that she was happy to pay for any damage she did but wanted an independent assessor to have a look. I felt she was going to start messing about so I decided to put it through my insurance (Tesco/RSA).

RSA sent round an assessor, the damage was fixed and RSA paid the amount minus my excess. I assumed that RSA would chase the other drivers insurance company and I would eventually get the excess (€150) back as well (as it was a rear shunt, so no question of liability).

Now, nearly 6 months since the accident, the matter is still not resolved. The other driver did not submit a completed claim form until earlier this month and has incredulously denied liability (despite her texts admitting liability 6 months ago). RSA have been less than useless throughout the entire claim (which is the main reason why it has dragged on so much).

RSA have now indicated that it is not in their interests to pursue the other driver as it is uneconomical. This means that not only am I €150 out of pocket but also now have an 'at fault' claim on my record. All because a silly woman went into the back of me and RSA can't be bothered to do anything about it.

If I had been aware of RSA's reluctance to follow through claims (even cut and dried ones like this), I would instead have pursued the other drivers insurance directly from the outset. At least i wouldn't have wasted 6 months.

My only options appear to be the small claims court or the financial ombudsman. Quick question - if the former, is it the other driver or their insurance company that I pursue via this method?

The other driver. Best way to close the claim off in your favour would be to pursue her for the amount paid out by RSA. You can them reimburse RSA their outlay and have the claim removed from your no claims bonus.

Alternatively whilst it's unusual, you could report the claim to her insurance company and seek the outlay from them (which would have been the easiest process 6 months ago).

RSA have settled your claim and whilst they have subrogation rights under your policy, and it is unusual for them not to pursue the outlay in a clear cut case, so they have fulfilled their obligation under the terms and conditions of your policy. So I think you would be wasting your time with the FSO. Either way if you intended to go the FSO route you still have to write to the complaints officer in RSA before pursing that option.

I'm not sure why you did not go through her insurance in the first instance - specifically given you felt she would start messing? They would have repaired the damage and most likely refused to insure her again unless she played ball. Personally your situation sounds like throwing good money after bad - but I would ask RSA to write to you formally with the letter required for the ombudsman if they are not prepared to follow up your case and/or refund you the money due and place your insurance back at the level it should have been at.

Back