Motor Mother had stroke, sister wants to drive her car

tomobrien

Technical one this:

My mother had a stroke recently, thankfully at the lighter end of the scale. I gather that before she drives again, she'll need to inform her insurance company. We haven't informed the insurance as yet since it would be at least another 8 weeks before doctors would consider her fit. Indeed, we need to check the small print to see whether it is necessary at all to inform the insurance co. since I've heard they can insist folk take a retest which most us who passed years ago could expect to fail, stroke or no..

Now, my sister is coming over to look after my mother for a few weeks and would like to drive my mothers car. My sister's insurance would cover her so long as the car she is driving is insured.

Which my mothers car is.

Would there be any issue here?

Thanks in advance..

No one can insist on a retest of driving test.

Your sister is 'coming over'. Do you mean coming from overseas? If so, her Driving Other Cars extension may not apply and she will need to check this with her insurers, preferably in writing.

If she is resident in Republic of Ireland and has an insurance policy in her own name and has the Driving Other Cars extension, then as long as the car is your mothers property and registered in her name, she should be OK.

Unclear as to what 'issue' you are thinking of

Sorry to hear about your mother's recent illness. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery.

Your mother's policy no doubt obliges her to inform her insurer of any material change that might alter the risk factor for her insurers. Health issues are no doubt included in this all-encompassing, common insurance proviso. She will have to tell her insurers and they'll tell her of any decision they make.

When you say your "sister is coming over", is she travelling from another jurisdiction? Does she have a full Irish/EU licence and does her insurance include driving other cars? Is the insurance in her own name or is she a named driver on someone else's policy?

My husband's sister comes to Ireland from an EU country regularly. She has a full EU driving licence and her own car in the country where she resides. That policy does not cover her to drive our car when she is here. So for the times that she comes she goes on our policy as a named driver. I checked with our broker and his advice was that a foreign insurance policy will not be valid here. Hence the named driver choice.

We haven't informed the insurance as yet since it would be at least another 8 weeks before doctors would consider her fit.

I presume your mother is not actually driving the car at the moment and won't be until the doctor signs her off as fit?

Back