Credit unions to issue debit cards?

Shawady

I read something during the week that in Jan/Feb credit unions will be able to facilitate electronic transfers so that salaries can be paid into your account and bills can be paid from it. It also mentioned that debit cards would not be long after this but did not give any details.
Does anyone know any more about this?

I was thinking it might be an option for Danske Bank customers losing their current accounts next year.

From February 2014 some CU's will offer electronic payments but not debit cards.

At a later date, debit cards will be offered.

There is no news yet on what charges will apply to these accounts.

The offer might come too late for Danske customers and is unlikely to be as good as the PTSB offer.

I read something during the week that in Jan/Feb credit unions will be able to facilitate electronic transfers so that salaries can be paid into your account and bills can be paid from it. .

From February 2014 some CU's will offer electronic payments but not debit cards.

My CU offers this now. I've been getting salary paid into my CU for over a year now, and I can transfer money automatically or ad-hoc to other accounts, via their online account access facility.

If it just had an ATM card, I'd be away in a hack.

Yeah, some CU's already offer electronic payments. A lot more will come February 2014 thanks to a collective CU infrastructure deal with Danske Bank.

It will be very interesting to see what CU's charge when they offer full service banking including debit/ATM cards and online electronic payments.

There is also a group of 11 larger credit unions looking at a fully functional debit card which they hope to launch next year. obviously this will be initially confined to members of the particular credit unions.

There is also a group of 11 larger credit unions looking at a fully functional debit card which they hope to launch next year.

Interesting. I assume this is separate announcement to the 100+ CU tie up with Danske Bank.

Will it be a dual Debit and ATM card? with internet banking?

Any indication as to when next year?

Yeah, some CU's already offer electronic payments. A lot more will come February 2014 thanks to a collective CU infrastructure deal with Danske Bank.....

Is this still proceeding, given Danske's recent announcement ?

There is also a group of 11 larger credit unions looking at a fully functional debit card which they hope to launch next year. obviously this will be initially confined to members of the particular credit unions.

Do you have a list of the CUs involved?

Given that TSB AIB ESB etc are now almost wholly state owned, the Government might not want the bigger CR Unions to set up in direct competition to them.

I would imagine that most of the big credit unions are occupational ones Civil Service, Teachers. ESB, HSE, Revenue, Local Government etc.

As you have to have a job to be a member of these credit unions, the default rate is probably low. These are the type of people that the banks can least afford to lose.

An update on the electronic payments plan here, though no specifics about which CUs will be involved or when it will happen
[broken link removed]

Back