Glo Health - Activate Cash Plan

funnymunny

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Activate Cash Plan? In terms of budget it seems ideal but I am slightly nervous of it. Having spoken to Glo, it seems that if you need to activate hospital cover, you have the same cover as many other health insurance plans.

Does anyone know any major negatives with this plan?

Many thanks.

It's a very interesting package, only recently launched, and I don't quite see yet how it pays Glo to offer this. The coverage looks decent though.

It seems you need to have served your waiting periods in order to be able to upgrade to the hospital package. Do you already have health insurance? If so, for how long? Are you under 65?

Thanks for the reply arbitron. I am 40 and my husband is 37, we have two children, one under 3 who will go free on the plan and one aged 4. I checked the waiting periods and because we have always had insurance we won't serve any waiting period. I also checked with them regarding my husband as he is currently awaiting a diagnosis and they say that he will be covered under their policy should a need for hospitalisation occur. I got a quote of something like €92 per month for all of us, rising to €171.00 (ish, I don't have the figures in front of me) if one was to upgrade to hospital cover. I also verified that the figure of €171 p/m would only be if all four of us upgraded to hospital cover. The only catch that I can see is that if you upgrade someone to hospital cover, it in effect creates a new 12 month contract, so you will be paying the increased premium for 12 months and not until the renewal date. I need to check again if this is only for one individual or if that means that the 3 other people on the policy are also put into a contract for 12 months.

The main disadvantage I see is that if for whatever reason you did have to upgrade to hospital cover for more than one person, which is not beyond the realms of possibility, then the cover would work out as expensive if not more, than say my existing policy with Laya.

I was looking into this recently and decided against it due to the fact that if you wanted to move to another health insurer afterwards they wouldn't view this cover as being full health insurance which would likely affect waiting periods for pre existing conditions. If we didn't have to worry about pre existing conditions I'd be switching to this plan as its a great idea.

I was looking into this recently and decided against it due to the fact that if you wanted to move to another health insurer afterwards they wouldn't view this cover as being full health insurance which would likely affect waiting periods for pre existing conditions. If we didn't have to worry about pre existing conditions I'd be switching to this plan as its a great idea.

you say "likely" but is this fact? thinking about it myself.

It would definitely effect waiting periods, but the insurers are free to waive them if they wish

no offence Mexicola. But post number 1? What's your pedigree on these matters?

I don't work for an insurer but work in the industry.

You can contact the HIA if you'd like to verify the waiting periods.

Just wondering if anyone has found out a definite answer as to whether these Activate plans would mess up waiting periods etc for future insurance with other providers? I have had insurance for years so dont need to serve waiting periods etc, and really don't want to mess that up by going for a plan that might not qualify in the eyes of other insurers.

I stand by my posts above. You will have upgrade waiting periods if you move insurers, but the insurers can waive the waiting periods at their discretion.

Back