Share certs for uk shares

Shaz

Hi, I intend to purchase shares listed on the London stock exchange. Would it be possible to obtain share certificates for them?

Thanks.

I don't believe UK based companies issue certs anymore. The closest you will get is holding them in a Crest account through a broker.

broker should be able to get certs, but there is a higher fee and there are problems when selling as broker will not sell until in possession of cert.

Would you not consider CREST or Nominee account?

CREST probably safer if using an Irish broker, following Morrogh collapse.

I have share certs for a UK company and it was no problem at all. I used Campbell O'Connor who don't make any fuss about share certs.

Brendan

Isn't there a UK tax on UK share dividends which makes them very unattractive?
It was mentioned briefly here but I can't find the thread...

Hi 8till8

I got severe criticism for suggesting some years ago that a diversified portfolion of Irish quoted shares was adequate. I was criticised for saying that there was no need for overseas diversification as the Irish companies such as CRH and AIB had plenty of overseas earnings.

I am still not a huge fan of overseas shares. Two years after getting a dividend from Artzya and one year after applying for a rebate of Swiss tax, I am still waiting.

I am not uptodate on the tax of UK shares, but I thought a bit of sterling diversification was a good idea.

But I would like to see a comparison of the tax effectiveness of holding shares overseas.

Brendan

Back