Buying Car Tyres Online - Experiences?

flossie

I am looking at getting some tyres for my Passat (235/45/R17/97W) and am getting quotes of around €200 per tyre. I currently have Pirelli P Zero on the back, P7 on the front...

I do a lot of mileage and have been relatively happy with the way the tyres handled during the cold period (asymmetric treads i believe have helped), and so i want to keep a good, solid, reliable tyre on the car. Wonder if it is worth buying winter tyres specifically?

Looking online it seems i can pick up tyres for £110 each, and there is a local guy who will fit for €10 per tyre. Has anyone had experience of buying tyres online? Is it recommended?

Also, any suggestions about Pirelli/Bridgestone/Continental/Yokohama?

Sorry, so many questions!

have bought from eiretyres on a few occasions and then switched to camskill as they were more competitive, especially on Falkens.
Never had a problem with them and usually delivered to the door within 2-3 days of ordering.
If you have someone lined up, go for it...there are huge savings to be made especially changing all 4 tyres at once.

As for tyre choice, eiretyres have a good section on tyre reviews. What are recommended for your car? I've had Bridgestone Potenzas and found them a very good tyre. I'm currently running Falken ZE912's and they are probably not as good as the Potenzas but still a decent tyre and a hell of a lot cheaper

Thanks for the reply...not sure what the 'recommended' tyres are for the car, i think Pirelli have been on it since i bought it, and i've just swapped like for like when they have needed replacing.

I probably need new tyres on the back soonish, but i'm thinking of replaing all 4 of them at the sae time to start afresh. I will look at the Potenzas.....i am a little bit ignorant regarding tyres, are Falken one of the premium brands?

Falken would be a decent mid-range tyre, far from budget but so much better than the cheap muck for sale around the country, especially the chinese stuff.

There's plenty of tyre review websites now, type in your make and model and tyre review and it will bring back results like this - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Skoda/Octavia-vRS.htm

From the above review, I will be buying Uniroyal Rainsports for my car based on previous experience of the tyre on another car, price and the positive reviews, and I will more than likely be using Camskill too.

Thanks for that Ronan, good idea to put your model in and bring up the recommendations. Best result for my car was Goodyear winter tyres- €200 each :D

It's a mindboggling situation though! Will keep going and investigating, then will surely put in an order sometime soon :)

Falken would be a decent mid-range tyre, far from budget but so much better than the cheap muck for sale around the country, especially the chinese stuff.

There's plenty of tyre review websites now, type in your make and model and tyre review and it will bring back results like this - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Skoda/Octavia-vRS.htm

From the above review, I will be buying Uniroyal Rainsports for my car based on previous experience of the tyre on another car, price and the positive reviews, and I will more than likely be using Camskill too.

Totally agree with this post.

I had Falken FK451 and Kumho Ecsta KU31 on my old car. good grip but wore quite quickly (that's the trade-off for ya!).

Had Toyo Proxes T1-R on the Accord last time (great grip and confidence in wet or dry, but again, wore pretty quickly, 17k miles), and have Uniroyal Rainsport 2 just fitted because of the tyretest.com reviews and anecdotal reviews.

Got them fitted and balanced for €120 each (225/45 R17) in a bricks & mortar place.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo were my backup choice but didn't need the backup as I got the Uniroyals.

Do not spend less than €90-100 per tyre for 17" tyres, and it's pretty pointless spending more than €150 unless you drive a proper sports car at high speeds. The benefit gained by the increase in price tails off rapidly after that price point imo.

I bought 4 x nokian entyre 215/55/6 at 95 euros a tyre, they are all weather tyres from eiretyres. The delivery was fine and i got them fitted for 10 euros a tyre including front ones balanced. The garage had no problem fitting them.
Tyres are great too.
Going to do same for my other car

Just ordered a full set from Camskill. Impressed with the range choice and prices. Also, impressed with the service so far but will keep you all updated.

Arrived this morning after being order on Thursday PM. All ok. Very impressed with service and price and would recommend.

Back