Terminating Fixed Term - Illegal Bedsit

TTI

Hi,

My understanding is that with the new rental standards, there now has to be separate bathrooms, etc. for multi-flat houses.

In a scenario where one of these multi-flat houses were purchased, is there a provision to break the fixed term leases as these flats do not meet the minimum standards for private bathrooms, etc.?

Also, what are the existing landlords rights to terminating a fixed term lease for one of these now illegal bedsits? Particularly in a house that can not be upgraded to meet the regulations and therefore the landlord could be subject to a substantial fine for continuing the status quo?

It's an interesting question. The bedsit is illegal, but do you have the right to legally terminate the lease, best ask the bright people at the PRTB who no doubt have had to deal with this issue.

Generally, the landlord terminates the leases before selling the property.

So when you buy one, you buy it with vacant possession. You probably should not buy one with tenants in illegal tenancies as you are just buying huge problems.

Brendan

Generally, the landlord terminates the leases before selling the property.

So when you buy one, you buy it with vacant possession. You probably should not buy one with tenants in illegal tenancies as you are just buying huge problems.

Brendan

Agreed.

I am presuming that you have purchased with this problem. If so you may have to talk to the tenant and try to come to an amicable arrangement. It may cost you. Getting involved legally may cost a lot more.

Agreed.

I am presuming that you have purchased with this problem. If so you may have to talk to the tenant and try to come to an amicable arrangement. It may cost you. Getting involved legally may cost a lot more.

Thankfully I am not in this situation! I was curious about it as it applied to a house I enquired about.

Back