Tenants request to install satellite

Sipe

Our new tenants moved in at the weekend. They have asked if they can install a sky satellite dish. What do you advise?

We are based abroad and have no way of inspecting the work (and do not trust our agent)

Our concerns are

1. It's against the management company rules but they are common in the estate
2. We are worried about the damage to the property (e.g. Drilling holes in the walls?)
3. And when they leave and take the dish with them we will be left with permanent holes in our walls. How would the property be returned to it's original condition?

Do we allow it or say no and risk upsetting our new tenants?

Thoughts and advise much appreciated

Thx

If professionals install, damage should be minimal. Holes can be filled if the dish is removed.

I'd be more concerned with Management Company rules.

1. It's against the management company rules but they are common in the estate
Let the tenant know that if you are directed to remove the dish, then you and they will have to comply with the management co. If they are willing to risk it - then its on them - not you.

Sipe said:
2. We are worried about the damage to the property (e.g. Drilling holes in the walls?)
3. And when they leave and take the dish with them we will be left with permanent holes in our walls. How would the property be returned to it's original condition?
To such an extent that you will risk losing the tenant? How good of a draw is your current tenant? Would it be easy to find another tenant?
Will your next tenant - or prospective tenant - want satellite tv? Those dishes have little monetary value once in place for a while. If you decide to allow, then give them €30 to leave dish in place when they leave.

IF you decide to go ahead with it, be aware that sky installers work on contract and are not given much time to complete an install. Therefore they will go route one and install whatever way is easiest for them. Something to bear in mind when it comes to dish siting, drilling holes, etc.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Tenants just moved in so don't know yet if good / bad. We are in Dublin so no problem renting but prefer not to have to suffer through that again thanks to our 'helpful' agent or have to pay another fee.

Can we include a clause in writing to the tenants that they are responsible for the removal at the end of the lease and a contractor will be sourced by us to fill the hole and repaint in and out at the tenants expense?

Or maybe better to avoid altogether... very nervous about allowing this as we have no control or visibility or control of what is being done

If you are nervous, simply refuse and cite the management rules as the reason
They've already signed their lease...

FWIW we got Sky in a while back and yes the installers are on contract and do have a number of installs to do a day - 14 is the number I was given when I asked. So if 2 dishes per house, then 7 houses etc.

He drilled holes firstly (after we agreed the route for the cables depending on best location for the dish) so he could attach his ladder to the wall, His comment was that the Health & Safety people are firing guys for not taking H&S seriously. Then he connected himself by lanyards/harness to the ladder etc. It nearly took him as long to get safe as to drill holes. The holes are covered by a little plastic stopper/ringer - these holes are small and barely visible. The hole outside for the cable to our sitting room he drilled was larger and there is a nice brown cover on the brickwork.

I was nervous about the drilling & holes etc. but have to say the chap we got was 100%. He explained everything up front, was professional in his work.

All in all, we're delighted with Sky. Hope this helps

Can we include a clause in writing to the tenants that they are responsible for the removal at the end of the lease and a contractor will be sourced by us to fill the hole and repaint in and out at the tenants expense?

Or maybe better to avoid altogether... very nervous about allowing this as we have no control or visibility or control of what is being done

Of course you can put in the clause, I see no issue with this whatsoever, I realise they can be unsightly, but they are what I would consider a basic necessity for many people nowadays, especially those who wish to receive channels from their own country.

But you must point out to them the issue with the management company, that's there loss if MC comes after you to take it down. The fact you mentioned the estate is full of them means the MC is not really interested in this issue.

As for the practicalities of it, I've a satellite dish, on the side of my house, to get UK channels, and it's very small, don't even notice it, and a couple of holes are easily filled in the future when we don't have satellite dishes.

insist they leave the dish when they move out (they're unlikely to need it as Sky will generally install a new dish for existing customers who are moving) - no problem with holes then and your next tenants can use it...

Back