medical card 3 years - return to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

corkgirl1

Hi all,

does anyone know for sure whether people who currently have a medical card under the keep-it-for-3-years-when-you-return-to-work scheme will definitely lose it for a GP card?

My husband finally signed off last month and we may still qualify on means test but as he's self-employed with most expenses unknown until towards the end of the year it will be very difficult to see whether we would continue to qualify.

I assume we would be means-tested based on previous year's earnings each year?

I can't seem to prefix this as a question rather than opinion.

It seems they are making it up as they go along - I don't see you losing the medical card in the immediate future anyway.

This is according to citizensinformation.ie:

"Unemployed people who return to work will be entitled to retain a GP Visit Card for 3 years without a means test. Currently they can retain their medical card for 3 years. This measure requires legislation and it is to be phased in during 2014."

I also have no idea how to prefix as a question :)

[broken link removed]

The measure will not be retrospective in that the HSE will not be seeking refund of costs of any services provided to people who retained a medical card after returning to employment. However, the current circumstances of a person who has returned to work will determine whether they qualify for a medical card or a GP card.

It seems that it will however be retrospective, given that those who left work over the past three years thinking that they would keep their medical card, will now lose it.

Thanks for that link Ildanach.

What on earth do they think retrospective means?

When revenue job assist was abolished they basically just didn't issue the extra credits to any new applicants - they didn't say "well, we're not reviewing your entitlement last year so it's not retrospective".

Corkgirl1, you should get onto your local TD and possibly the Minister for Health and explain the meaning of the word!

I'm not surprised they need new legislation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back