Bereavement grant discontinued from 1 Jan next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do other countries pay citizens to get buried, or help with the cost?

I think in the UK, there is a bereavement payment of a couple of grand. Not sure what the eligibility criteria is though. They also do it in Italy.

I think in the UK, there is a bereavement payment of a couple of grand. Not sure what the eligibility criteria is though. They also do it in Italy.

That's right, you have to have paid into national Insurance to be eligible for it.
https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment/eligibility

I think it was mean to remove it completely, many people find it very hard to pay for a funeral especially if the deceased left no means. It's just more financial hardship for poorer people.

I think it was mean to remove it completely, many people find it very hard to pay for a funeral especially if the deceased left no means. It's just more financial hardship for poorer people.

Anyone who can't afford funeral costs should be talking to their community welfare officer about Exceptional Needs Payments. Ultimately the CWO and /or the local council and SVP will make sure that those in need during bereavement will be taken care off, and rightly so.

There was probably less of a stigma when people were able to apply for the grant, how many would be willing to approach their local SVP for help is another matter.

Also if people have no means and have no family to take care of it, the HSE has responsible for burying people in a dignified way. I don't know the ins and outs of it.

Was it not the case that this was priced into the cost of a funeral by the funeral directors and that in essence this "grant" was basically a direct subsidy of funeral homes?

Was it not the case that this was priced into the cost of a funeral by the funeral directors and that in essence this "grant" was basically a direct subsidy of funeral homes?

So will their prices all now come down by that amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back