I (car) just had an accident with a bike

Newbie!

So turning off a secondary road this eve in Dublin onto a primary route, I hit a cyclist. Between the way, haze,steamed windows I just didn't see him until I was upon him. I tried to avoid him and thankfully he was ok but my number plate broke and his back wheel was buckled. I was so grateful that no one was hurt that I immediately told him to get it fixed and and call me when he has a reciept or quote. He took a photo of my car and got my name and number and I took pics of the damaged bike and got his name and number. I'm terrified he'll claim an injury or hit me with a colossal bike bill. I don't know much about bikes but I'd guess it was of average worth...not a cheapie but not a new top of the range either. Is there anything else I should have done (other than not hit him) or should do now?
Thanks.

So turning off a secondary road this eve in Dublin onto a primary route, I hit a cyclist. Between the way, haze,steamed windows I just didn't see him until I was upon him. I tried to avoid him and thankfully he was ok but my number plate broke and his back wheel was buckled. I was so grateful that no one was hurt that I immediately told him to get it fixed and and call me when he has a reciept or quote. He took a photo of my car and got my name and number and I took pics of the damaged bike and got his name and number. I'm terrified he'll claim an injury or hit me with a colossal bike bill. I don't know much about bikes but I'd guess it was of average worth...not a cheapie but not a new top of the range either. Is there anything else I should have done (other than not hit him) or should do now?
Thanks.

Did you say to him that you wanted to call the gardai or call an ambulance for him to get him checked out?
Did he say no to this and refuse this?

Injuries and trauma can surface hours or days after an accident occurs.I really do mean that.

What can feel like a small pain in the back or leg can sometimes turn out to be something much worse as the hours and days go by.What can be a nightmare of the accident can sometimes turn into PTSD.

Did you also take down the name and model of his bike and also see what other extras were on the bike (things like aftermarket rims/wheels,mudguards and lights)

Also for your own sake,just make sure your insurance,tax and nct are all in order at the time of the accident.Maybe you should call your insurance company and inform them of the accident you had with the cyclist,so that they know you were in an RTA and that you are awaiting a response from the cyclist.

No I didn't offer the ambulance or guards as he wasn't even knocked off his bike. I felt it would be silly to call someone. Maybe I was wrong. Having said that, of I did offer and he declined, what would that prove also as him he could deny I ever offered?
I took a pic of the bike, couldn't see a name. All my particulars are in order. I feel sick to the out if my stomach with nerves that he might try fleece me.

No I didn't offer the ambulance or guards as he wasn't even knocked off his bike. I felt it would be silly to call someone. Maybe I was wrong. Having said that, of I did offer and he declined, what would that prove also as him he could deny I ever offered?
I took a pic of the bike, couldn't see a name. All my particulars are in order. I feel sick to the out if my stomach with nerves that he might try fleece me.

Thats why you have insurance and they will sort it out for you.

Get a hot cuppa tea into you and sit back and relax.
Both of you are alive and its a bit of metal that got bent.Insurance is there for that very reason,so try and relax.:)

I think you should be OK. The fact that he didn't call the gardai or use an ambulance at the time of the accident is good news for you - as it will make it difficult for him to make a claim for an injury afterwards. I wouldn't ring your insurance company. My insurance policy advises that I never accept responsibility for an accident - so play it by ear. BTW - did the cyclist have proper front and rear lighting? Was he wearing a helmet? High Viz clothing? Are you even sure that it was entirely your fault? By the looks of it you're just liable for a new wheel.

No helmet, no lights and had a high viz jacket. It was my fault but his lack of the former items didn't help. I'll wait to see what price he comes back with. Thanks

No helmet, no lights and had a high viz jacket. It was my fault but his lack of the former items didn't help. I'll wait to see what price he comes back with. Thanks

Just to point out that there is no legal requirement in Ireland for cyclists to wear either helmets or hi-viz jackets. Lights are a different story obviously.

The fact that he had no lights means he's on the road illegally.

It also makes him a potential candidate for a darwin award. When you're cycling, it's a good idea to make yourself as visible as possible. It always astounded me when I'd get to the station and take 2 minutes to put the lights on the bike, and some reflective gear on myself, and people would cycle away with neither onto a busy country road.

The fact that he had no lights means he's on the road illegally.

So the OP said 'eve', but we don't know the time. OP, what time was it? The law states lights must be used during 'lighting-up hours'. Lighting-up hours yesterday commenced at 5:03pm for Dublin.

Another thing to note, just because a cyclist is not using lights, that does not absolve other road users of liability in the event of an incident. A court will likely diminish responsibility, but not absolve completely. Most of the cases before the courts for pedestrians being knocked down do not absolve the motorist of any responsibility even though many pedestrians are crossing the road illegally at the time.

That said, in my opinion, you do need to be a special kind of idiot to cycle without lights, especially in wet weather.

Newbie, sounds like you are taking a very fair approach to this, and so far the cyclist is doing likewise. Getting a wheel straightened can cost as little as €10, but will cost more if spokes or the rim are damaged. New road wheels start at €50/60 at the low end.

Come back when they revert with the costs, and if it sounds high, I can take a look at the picture and if it's of decent quality, I may be able to identify the wheels they're using.

I wouldn't ring your insurance company.

This is very poor advice. Most policies state that you must inform your insurance company immediately, or within a fixed time period of the occurrence of an incident that may result in a claim, failing to comply with those terms can see them refusing cover.

this is very poor advice. Most policies state that you must inform your insurance company immediately, or within a fixed time period of the occurrence of an incident that may result in a claim, failing to comply with those terms can see them refusing cover.

+1

Sorry that happened to you and glad there were no major injuries. If he's a decent guy it won't be over the top in expense I think.

thank you all. Leo, I might take you up on that.

The accident happened at 4:55pm but regardless of the lights/visibility, I must take responsibility here. Morally, I would feel uncomfortable pushing this back to the cyclist. As it happens, in the picture, I can see he had a rear light attached to the bike but I'm almost certain he didn't have a front light. I wouldn't swear on that though.

I'll report back when I get a quote.

The accident happened at 4:55pm but regardless of the lights/visibility, I must take responsibility here. Morally, I would feel uncomfortable pushing this back to the cyclist. As it happens, in the picture, I can see he had a rear light attached to the bike but I'm almost certain he didn't have a front light.

What?

Between the way, haze,steamed windows I just didn't see him
I am astonished when I stop a driver for dangerous driving how often they ask me where my helmet is?

Newbie. You know you were in the wrong and that is the best way to deal with it.

It's unlikely that you will get fleeced. Most people are honest.

I am not sure about reporting it to the insurance company. Personally, for a buckled wheel, I wouldn't. You do not expect this to result in a claim. What is the insurance company going to do, if you report it? The same as you, sit and wait for a claim.

What will they do if you don't report it? In the unlikely event that there is a later claim, I think your honest belief that it was just a buckled wheel, will satisfy them. Obviously if the guy claims personal injuries and you dispute it, you must still report it.

Brendan

I am not sure about reporting it to the insurance company. Personally, for a buckled wheel, I wouldn't. You do not expect this to result in a claim. What is the insurance company going to do, if you report it? The same as you, sit and wait for a claim.

What will they do if you don't report it?

Brendan

Its a condition of motor insurance policy that you inform them as soon as possible of any incident that may give rise to a claim. So regardless of whether they will just be sitting their waiting OP should be telling them.

Its a condition of motor insurance policy that you inform them as soon as possible of any incident that may give rise to a claim. So regardless of whether they will just be sitting their waiting OP should be telling them.

Correct

Bill is in. €126 for a new wheel and to have a bar/frame/something slightly straightened. I haven't seen the bill yet but am happy with that. Turns out he was an honest soul afterall

Bill is in. €126 for a new wheel and to have a bar/frame/something slightly straightened. I haven't seen the bill yet but am happy with that. Turns out he was an honest soul afterall

And you aswell.If there were more decent people like yourself and that cyclist in this world,then it would be a better place for us all.:)

Can you imagine a world without lawyers.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2VxpTMAbas

Back