Solicitors fees

lollops

I got my bill yesterday from my solicitor and I have to say I nearly fell off the chair!!!!!!!

How much would you expect to pay a solicitor for a simple apt. purchase with no hiccups??

his 'personal' fee is 1,700, and then theres all these extras that amount to about 1,500!!!!!

thats all the land registry stuff though, is that included in ur fees?

Oh, and i dont think he added tax onto that yet!!!

Yeh - hey and all they do is change the names and addresses on the standard form!!!!!!!!!!

mf

Mine are a whopping 3,330!!!!!!!! oh my god I'm in complete shock!!!!!

carieann, was urs including all the land registry fees etc????

i have a question kind of off topic sorry, but i havent paid my solicitors fees yet, very bold of me i know, i don intend to pay obviously but how long would you have?

Yeh - hey and all they do is change the names and addresses on the standard form!!!!!!!!!!

mf

Oh my God, did your Solicitor do that much for you?!

Why the suprise? Did your Solicitors not give you estimate in advance, as required by Law Society regulations? Did you not shop around?

he's the family solicitor, so I didn't shop around based on that.

And no, we didn't agree a a price beforehand??? i didn't know we had to or could?

I just assumed that the price would depend on the **** that they had to deal with.

i have a question kind of off topic sorry, but i havent paid my solicitors fees yet, very bold of me i know, i don intend to pay obviously but how long would you have?

why are u not paying them?? and how long would you have for what?

Hi,

I agreed the price before and that is for everything including all my nuisance phonecalls asking questions, two meetings etc. I used Hegarty McCarthy and Co and found them to be brilliant, extremely helpful.

I just assumed that the price would depend on the **** that they had to deal with.

Probably a good assumption, and probably what the solicitor would have told you had you asked. Of course, the solicitor has no control over the amounts of outlays and third party costs which are ultimately added to their bill.

His own fee is roughly €2000 and then the outlays etc amount to €1,300

Does this seem normal?

Hi Lollops,

Yep that was for everything, he was very good, I didn't have to chase anything. Solictors can be cheaper but then you have to do most of the work. I was very happy with our Solictor.

His own fee is roughly €2000 and then the outlays etc amount to €1,300

Does this seem normal?

In the times of the boom solicitors charged roughly 1% of the price of the house plus VAT plus outlay. This of course was open to negociation. You should have requested a quote in advance and agree a price - the legal profession are obliged to furnish you with these details.

Last edited:
Thank god I asked for a quote before I started the whole thing, so we'd no extra costs which was good.

I got my bill yesterday from my solicitor and I have to say I nearly fell off the chair!!!!!!!

How much would you expect to pay a solicitor for a simple apt. purchase with no hiccups??
How much did you think he would charge for the work? What did you think would be a reasonable amount? Maybe it was a simple apartment purchase because your solicitor was so good. And don't the 'extras' go to the government and have nothing to do with the solicitor?

Back