Cleaning tiles - what appliance to buy?

phoenix

Hi

I would like to give all my tiles a good clean in the new year and was considering buying an appliance to help particularly with the walls that are tiled to ceiling level and those in the shower areas.

Can anyone recommend a good appliance please? Is steam best ?

Thank you.

Phoenix

Hopefully there is something useful out there but have always found good ol' elbow grease, a strong brush and cleaner to be the best thing. Small steam cleaner was a waste of money.

We have tiled floors throughout the house and bought one of these

http://www.karcher.ie/ie/Products/Home__Garden/Steam_cleaners/Products/15123520.htm

We got the one that is continously refillable, as the ones that you have to wait for them to cool down to refill are a pain when you have a large area to do.

It is used for all the tiles, and bathroom shower cubicles etc. I have recently bought the steam attachment for steaming clothes and that is saving a lot on dry cleaning bills (I'll stop now as I sound like a salesman).

They are not cheap (about €250) (and the cheap ones are not worth the money), but if you have a few bathrooms, and tiled floors, they are worth the money.

I have used a mixture of washing soda, bleach & ammonia in hot water and you don't need elbow grease, just plenty of ventilation! Wiping this solution should do the trick, and an old toothbrush for the more stubborn grout. Proportions are 2 cups washing soda, 1 cup bleach & 1/2 cup ammonia.

Thank you all. I was looking out for the karcher steam cleaner in the sales but no luck yet. Joanmul, Where can I buy ammonia? Do I just mix altogether and apply to tiles with a cloth? Do I rinse off solution? No water? Green behind the ears on this one! Thanks

Hopefully there is something useful out there but have always found good ol' elbow grease, a strong brush and cleaner to be the best thing. Small steam cleaner was a waste of money.
And dry off with an old towel

Back