Auctioneer ignoring our offer?

finally got a call from the auctioneer this morning. We still have the highest bid, but (once again) he told us that he has several more viewings on the house. I told him that our offer is nearly 2 weeks old and is it accepted or rejected?
He then told me that valuations have to be done on the property before he gives me an answer. Could be next week.
Fed up.

finally got a call from the auctioneer this morning. We still have the highest bid, but (once again) he told us that he has several more viewings on the house. I told him that our offer is nearly 2 weeks old and is it accepted or rejected?
He then told me that valuations have to be done on the property before he gives me an answer. Could be next week.
Fed up.
Tell him to get lost. There's no shortage of properties out there. Don't let one hoor string you out like this.

Tell him to get lost. There's no shortage of properties out there. Don't let one hoor string you out like this.

Trust me Gaius, I'd flippin love to! But it is the house of our dreams, and i'd hate to let it go cause of this idiot.

Trust me Gaius, I'd flippin love to! But it is the house of our dreams, and i'd hate to let it go cause of this idiot.
All you are doing is letting the EA know that. What will you do if a mysterious late and higher offer comes along in a week's time?
Your current strategy is leaving you open to gouging. Play hardball. It's what he is doing after all.

I find myself in the position of defending the auctioneering profession; There's a thing that I didn't expect.

Folks, before we all rush to assume that the auctioneer is doing something hooky, read the first post. This is an executor's sale and the proceeds are going to the church. It may in fact be a sale by the church, depending on how things are organised. It is entirely possible that the auctioneer has to produce a written report on the bids received together with his own assessment before the Bishop and\or the Diocesan Trust will sign off on the sale. It is possible that the sale will be subject to the consent of the Commissioners for Charitable Donations and Bequests. It is clearly not the case that there is a 'motivated vendor' on the other end of the phone who can simply instruct the auctioneer to accept the offer. And two weeks is not that long.

Stories of hooky dealings by auctioneers are two a penny, but where there is a more prosaic explanation available, I think it at least behoves us to concede the possibility that the auctioneer is simply doing his job.

I'd put in a new reduced offer in writing, saying that although you did offer 280K previously you are only prepared to offer 265K now... and you'd appreciate if you could be informed if a higher offer comes along... you can always re-instate your higher offer in the future.

Fed up.

How could the house of gone to market without a valuation being done already? is this not what the EA does on day one before issuing marketing etc?

I think you may have let the EA know how much you want this house and they are stringing you along and effectively taking the good out of it!

I would definately withdraw your offer in excess of 30k because so much time has passed. You have obvioulsy offered way to much in an effort to secure the deal. I can understand this but not when the EA is stringing you along for so long.

Agree with MOB.

Its very likely that the church made a formal decision to put the house on the market for a set period of time and take the highest offer that has been received during this period - they may not have the capacity to make a quick decision on an offer in the same manner as an individual can. Auctioneer reports on highest price received at a meeting scheduled at some stage in the future.

Yes but even if it's a case of church waiting if alana offers anything above the previous bid then hers should be accepted so immed withdraw the 30k extra!! Plus if it's not EA decision then how can he 'let it go' for a certain amount.

He's taking the Mick. Sure in this Market the valuation is falling every day. The churce aren't foolish when it comes to finances and I'd imagine would see the sense of dealing sooner rather than later in a falling Market.

Hi everyone,
Just to keep you updated on what happened to our offer.
After being screwed around by the auctioneer, we decided to withdraw our offer and rang the auctioneer to tell him. He said no problem and that was it....didn't ask why or anything. End of story.
Two days ago, the auctioneer rang me and asked was i still interested in the house, as the highest bidder had pulled out. The highest bid was €270k, 10k lower than our bid "so we'd get a great deal"!
I told him to take a running jump.............!:mad:

Make him a new offer of €250k and give him a date to accept or reject.
Fact is he was stringing you along with this other bidder (if he even existed) and got caught out.
You hold the cards now

Make him a new offer of €250k and give him a date to accept or reject.
Fact is he was stringing you along with this other bidder (if he even existed) and got caught out.
You hold the cards now

The cards still belong to the vendor though, so it may not be straight forward.

Hi everyone,

Two days ago, the auctioneer rang me and asked was i still interested in the house, as the highest bidder had pulled out. The highest bid was €270k, 10k lower than our bid "so we'd get a great deal"!
I told him to take a running jump.............!:mad:

Don't be hasty, do you still want the house? With this market you'll probably get it for less than 270.

The cards still belong to the vendor though, so it may not be straight forward.

Vendors hold no cards. They hold overpriced inventory in an oversupplied market.

Average time to sell is currently 364 days.

Its funny how every house in the country has an offer on it if you express an interest. Withdraw your offer and the other offer may disappear too. Funny that.

Back