Information on PC sums?

avontuur

A friend of mine is buying a new build which is currently at 2nd fix,
the builder has agreed to finish the property.
He has been given these "pc sums" and like myself has no idea what it entails!
For example he was told 4,000 euro for the kitchen, does this mean that my friend picks the kitchen and the builder pays for it?
Or
My friend pays for it and its deducted from the sale price?

Any help greatly appreciated

As far as I know, a PC sum generally gives the Client i.e. your friend the power to influence the design of certain items such as kitchens, windows etc. If he has been told there is a 4k PC sum for the kitchen, then this should mean that the sale price includes 4k for a kitchen (generally supply and fix cost). So if your friend likes a kitchen that costs 10k (including fix) then he needs to pay the extra 6k. If he picks one for 4k (including fix) then the sale price remains the same. PC sums should be nett of VAT. Your friend should be able to pick and ask the builder to order it for him. If he orders and pays for it himself then the 4k should come off the sale price.

He's at the stage where contracts are signed, purchase price is 220,000.
Correct me if i'm wrong but with contracts signed i thought it wouldn't be possible to make deductions on the sale price for the pc sums?!
I know he'd much prefer to just pick out his kitchen and let the builder pay for it.

Oh right, well not sure about that. I assume sale price has to remain the same but would be curious to know what would happen if he wanted a 10k kitchen.

However ....you said that the builder 'gave' your friend the PC sum, did he give any instructions about them? Did he say that the sale price includes 4k for a kitchen? I would think that your preference for getting the builder to buy the kitchen is a runner and that he has let you know the value so that you can pick one out to that value and give him instructions to order it.

So did the builder give any indication of what he wanted your friend to do with the PC sum information?

What happened was- my friend sees a house he likes, asking price 300,000. Put in offer of 220,000 with auctioneer. Offer gets accepted, auctioneer tells my friend that he'll get PC sums with the property. These are 4,000 for the kitchen, 2,000 for tiles and 1,000 for a fireplace.
So he presumes the builder has companies picked out that he is obliged to buy from for the above materials.
So he signs contracts, the builders are working in the house and then he's told that the PC sums will be deducted from the sale price as he has to pay for his own kitchen etc!
It doesn't seem right, its not like he has a spare 7,000 euro to do all the work when he presumed he wouldn't need it!
Any ideas?

Avontur, can he talk to his solicitor? These PC sums appear to have been a condition to the sale of the property and the administering of them should have ideally been captured in the contract.

Sorry I cant be more help.

My understanding is a PC sum is your money and if it is not fully used the unused portio is returned to you. EG a PC sum of €5000 for a bathroom but only €3000 is spent then the contractor has to return the balance of €2000 to you.

Back