VHI Plan B.....Implications of sticking with this plan or changing?

serotoninsid

Hi. i'm trying to get some info for some other folks as I know nothing about this whole thing as work pay for my HI.

Scenario 1: Individual is single and in early 40's - With VHI for the last number of years on Plan B. Last year cost €600+

Scenario 2: OAP couple - have been with VHI for many years. Last years premium was €1000+ ....again Plan B.

Should they look at changing or stick with what they have (albeit that I understand that VHI have raised premium substantially whilst cutting cover)?

What are the implications if they do change?

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide.

I just changed two adult children from VHI today to Aviva. The renewal rate has gone up this month but I had quotes for March 1st so renewed from that date. The money difference is not so significant now but Aviva claim to give a better policy. No long time service discounts! 50 years of cover paid to VHI on behalf of these adults between them ie cover from birth and no claims in respect of one and modest for other.

Hi. I also am looking at renewing my health insurance. I'm new to this site so maybe this has been discussed elsewhere. (pointers to other threads welcomed)
I heard on the wireless, (Matt Cooper show I think), that it was law in this country, that a policy made available to any one person, must be made available to everyone and anyone who wishes to avail of it.
I'm speaking of corporate policies. Let's say for example Wicrosoft have secured a good value corparate health insurance policy with HVI and made it available to their staff.
Then (the theory is) any Joe Bloggs can call HVI and inform them he wants the same policy as his neighbour, Mr. Murphy, who happens to work as a technician in Wicrosoft.
Apparently it is illegal for HVI to refuse him that exact same policy.
Has anybody heard anything about this?
Again, I'm new and this has possibly been discussed, and not sure on forum rules regarding dropping company names.
Cheers.

Update: Just found a thread. Cant post a link.
askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=139356&highlight=corporate

Last edited:
VHI Plan B - What's its USP?

It's renewal time for me and, like many people, I've been on VHI Plan B almost by default, for as long as I've had health insurance. It really has been the 800lb gorilla on the health insurance block since forever.

I'm 51 and, like most people, I require a couple of visits a year to my GP/Physio and, occasionally, a consultant.

The renewal cost is €1224.44.

What has irked me always about Plan B is the Out Patient excess of €300. This renders making a claim for out patient costs in the average year pretty much null and void.

I've had a look at the HIA website and, when I input semi-private in a private hospital allied to low out-patient excess, I get a load of hits. Too many in fact! :confused:

Many of them are much cheaper than Plan B and they offer the possibility of making a claim in an average year for a couple of GP visits etc..

So, my question is simple, why Plan B? What's the reason for its popularity?

Should I be considering another plan?

e.g. Quinn's Company Care Plus is €880, about €350 less than Plan B. Factor in a claim (due to its low excess) and you'd be saving €400+ in an average year.

Here it is compare with Plan B.

[broken link removed]

What am I missing?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. If this has been discussed before, please redirect. Thanks.

@Dinarius & others: Since my original post - in trying to help a couple of folks get a better deal on this, it seems that if you switch insurer, you get locked out of many of the procedures that would ordinarily be covered by that policy for the first X number of years. If this is the case, there is no incentive in changing or shopping for the best deal - as effectively, a straight comparison between two packages based on the premium alone is not a proper comparison (...it that makes sense...).

This whole system simply doesn't work!!

There isn't anything "magical" about Plan B, in that it doesn't have an absolutely essential, unique selling point. It's more of a case that Plan B (and by extension, VHI) is what most health insurers customers are used to, and as a customer once put it to me "it's better the devil you know than the angel you don't".

Historically, Plan B was the middle plan of VHI's offerings, so people joined it as it gave a broad level of access without completely breaking the bank. Even after VHI introduced Plans D & E, it was still the mass market product because the new plans were outside the financial reach of most people.

These days, I don't think Plan B is the behemoth it used to be, but that's probably as much down to VHI's push to its newer plans as anything else.

Anyways, that's enough history from me. Dinarius, I wouldn't be hesitant to move form Plan B, just because it's the most common plan on the market. Alot of that is historical and due to inertia, as opposed to a conscious choice by people.

Your problem is that you have a very wide choice of alternatives, so see if there's any other way to limit the options on the HIA website. For example, can you just look at plans with no hospital excess to make it the list a little bit more manageable. Have you excluded maternity and child cover (if applicable in your circumstances), and so on.

I hope that helps a little bit!

@Dinarius & others: Since my original post - in trying to help a couple of folks get a better deal on this, it seems that if you switch insurer, you get locked out of many of the procedures that would ordinarily be covered by that policy for the first X number of years. If this is the case, there is no incentive in changing or shopping for the best deal - as effectively, a straight comparison between two packages based on the premium alone is not a proper comparison (...it that makes sense...).

This whole system simply doesn't work!!

In terms of cover in hospital, that's only the case if the new plan has additonal benefits over your previous plan AND if you claim for those additional benefits as a result of a condition/illness that existed prior to changing plan.

If it's a benefit common to both plans and you've fully served the waiting periods, then you can claim for that benefit straight away.

Do you mind me asking where you got that information, because I think you were misinformed.

Thanks for the replies.

NovaFlare makes a point when he says that a lot of it is down to "inertia".

As an exercise, go to the HIA site http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison/

...and do the following.

1. Click Would like to see In Patient only plans............

2. From the drop down menu that now appears choose, "I know the name of my current plan and would like to find alternative options."

3. Choose VHI Plan B at the top of the next page.

Now I chose as follows:

Without Excess

yes to Every Day Expenses.

LOw Out Patient excess.

No Maternity

No Children..

This gives me about 20 hits starting with Quinn's Company Care Plus for €880.20 all the way down to VHI's Plan B at €1224.44.

Mind boggling choice, but I just wonder about Plan B.

D.

I've just been asked to consider this policy (Nurses and Teachers Choice from Aviva) versus my existing VHI Plan B.

[broken link removed]

Switching looks like a no-brainer to me. I particularly like the fact that in patient excess is a fixed amount (€125) versus 90% with VHI. e.g. If you went into hospital for a serious procedure, that kept you in there for a couple of weeks, 10% of the total cost could be a serious amount of money. I'd rather pay €125 and let Aviva pay the rest.

There is the best part of €400 between the two policies.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

D.

We (OH) and I have had VHI plan B + I had health steps gold as an add on for many years. Cost of both were rising rapidly so last year I decided to change. Thankfully we are both very healthy people and have ever only made one claim in our lives, so it was a very difficult choice as to what the future needs might be. How does one decide?

After much searching through many policies that I could not understand we opted for corporate 1.1 policy which is open to all (not just to those whose employers supply health cover). Last year we saved almost E600 and retained the same cover and slightly better in some areas.

We have just received our renewal notice for the coming year and of course it's up on last year but not as bad as Plan B + steps

Black Sheep,

Thanks for that. Will look into it.

I imagine a huge number of Plan B re-subscribers do so through inertia.

D.

I switched last year from Plan B Option to Company Plan Extra Level 2 Excess. Brilliant plan, more or less the same cover as Plan B (just some excess on some of the hospital covers) but full outpatient cover with an excess of 1 euro. and it's one of these company plans that don't get advertised, but VHI have to give to you (so a previous poster addressing this issue is correct).

Thanks again for the replies.

If I understand you correctly, here are the two plans you're on compared with Aviva's 'Nurses and Teachers' plan, which I've opted for.

[broken link removed]

Very, very similar in most areas.

I went through a broker and got it for €790. The difference in cost will cover a few GP visits that the plan doesn't cover (it only covers 1 x €30)

I think it's fair to say though that VHI Plan B, with its €300 out-patient excess (which renders out-patient claims in an average year futile) and its 90% cover for some serious (and potentially very, very expensive) procedures instead of a flat excess, coupled with its greater cost, is something of a joke. I just can't see why people go for it.

Thanks again.

D.

I went through a broker and got it for €790.

That's interesting. I didn't even realise the brokerage route was an option in the health insurance market. Is that the case with them all (ie. Quinn/VHI/Aviva)?

Are others going through a broker and getting a better rate?

Not specifically or necessarily a better rate but help to assimilate and tailor the best plan for your needs not only now, but during the year and each year thereafter.

Patrick

After many years of inertia I have changed plans.
Last year I had HealthPus Excess(plan B Excess). After a 40% increase this year I have changed to PMI 19 11.
It is very difficult to understand whether one plan is better or worse than another, even using the comparison site.
Anyway I have decided to go with PMI 19 11. I hope it is a good decision. I am up about €400 in the price from day 1.

Billo, what is PMI 19 11?
I have been with VHI for a long time and have seen a huge increase in my next premium and am going to shop around.

We have always been on Plan B + Options but it is just getting too expensive we have stwiched to nurse plan which is just as good with a lower excess.My partner is on first step pluss and it is great also get some money back for GP ect and is covered in private hospital.think this is about €900 this year.Nurse plan is 800 something i think compared to 1400.

Billo, what is PMI 19 11?
I have been with VHI for a long time and have seen a huge increase in my next premium and am going to shop around.

Here it is compared with 2 other more expensive plans :

[broken link removed]

Back