quotes to replace a window with french doors

gailey

I have recently phoned various window companies for a quote to replace a window with french doors. The exact window width is 1240 mms. I have one quote for €2500 from a well known window company. I then had a quote from a smaller local company for €1950, the same salesman however said that I would be cheaper just buying the windows from the company and he would get the fitter to fit in his free time on a Saturday as a nixer and that he would phone back with a new price which should be significantly cheaper than €1950. He phoned me back with a quote of €1900, just 50 euro cheaper than original quote saying that he underquoted to start with. I have since had another quote of €1800 from another company. Should I play them off each other or should I steer clear of this salesman. I know of work done by all three companies and all have had no complaints but i want the best price too but I am annoyed that this salesman expects me to go with a nixer for a reduction of fifty quid. What should I do next?

I recently replaced the following windows:

2 large- 6'X6'
2 medium - 6'X3'
5 small 3'X3'

All were replaced with woodgrain PVC windows with one of the large windows replaced by a french door.

Costs included taking out all old timber windows, fitting new windows. breaking out remaining wall for french door, finish off around window frames and removing all rubbish. Cost also included replacing some facia and soffit.

Based near Limerick.

Total cost - €6200.

Thanks pee for your reply. Did you by any chance receive a break down for your costs and do you know what the french doors cost on their own, did you shop around for prices?

I have recently phoned various window companies for a quote to replace a window with french doors. The exact window width is 1240 mms. I have one quote for €2500 from a well known window company. I then had a quote from a smaller local company for €1950, the same salesman however said that I would be cheaper just buying the windows from the company and he would get the fitter to fit in his free time on a Saturday as a nixer and that he would phone back with a new price which should be significantly cheaper than €1950. He phoned me back with a quote of €1900, just 50 euro cheaper than original quote saying that he underquoted to start with. I have since had another quote of €1800 from another company. Should I play them off each other or should I steer clear of this salesman. I know of work done by all three companies and all have had no complaints but i want the best price too but I am annoyed that this salesman expects me to go with a nixer for a reduction of fifty quid. What should I do next?

Where are you located? I may be able to get you a cheaper quote as its a very straight forward job.

I replaced a back door and window with French doors (plus 2 small windows, one to each side) for €2400 last August. Work included replacing the existing lintels with a single one, internal plastering and external dry dashing. I had to have a pane in the french door replaced some months later (human hair trapped between the panes!!), so I'm glad I went with a company and not via the "nixer" route. Peace of mind and guarantees which mean something could be worth the extra few euro you spend.

Does changing from the window to the doors require a steel girder to be fitted or is there enuf support there already?

Thanks pee for your reply. Did you by any chance receive a break down for your costs and do you know what the french doors cost on their own, did you shop around for prices?

No breakdown - total cost only, I only checked 2 suppliers as only a few would do the windows/door and the soffit.

BTW - see Sueellen's reply - she may well have a reason for what seems like an expensive job.

Does changing from the window to the doors require a steel girder to be fitted or is there enuf support there already?

The lintels that are already in place for the existing window are all the support that is required for the change to patio/french doors.

Good Luck ;)

The lintels that are already in place for the existing window are all the support that is required for the change to patio/french doors.

Good Luck ;)

A friend of mine was switching as above some years ago and found it very hard to get anyone to even give her a quote as they maintained it was a messy job. She did eventually get it done and it was, indeed, a very dirty job. Are there exceptions to above?

Back