Asian Guy Claiming he is from Eircom/Microsoft/Windows

roker

I got a telephone call this morning from one of those funny numbers 004106928102, an Asian guy saying he was from Eircom internet, he asked for me by name, from which I said yes, and then he hung up. I know that these are scams, I get quite a few, but this was from a new angle, I do not have eircom internet I have Vodafone. 410 is Switzerland. Has anyone any idea what he is up to?

have you recently had an issue with vodafone requiring a call to tech support?

No. had no problems, you can usually tell the scam calls because there is delay when you answer as if they are connecting something, and why a Swiss number?

The caller ID number doesn't necessarily mean anything -- with VoIP it can be fairly random. I've come up as a Swiss number on occasion myself when using a Swiss VoIP service.

I got a telephone call this morning from one of those funny numbers 004106928102, an Asian guy saying he was from Eircom internet, he asked for me by name, from which I said yes, and then he hung up. I know that these are scams, I get quite a few, but this was from a new angle, I do not have eircom internet I have Vodafone. 410 is Switzerland. Has anyone any idea what he is up to?

I had a similar guy on the phone 20 minutes ago claiming to be from Microsoft,he was asking me to download a programme to fix my "broken" PC over the phone.

He asked for my name,I said my name was Silas Ramsbottom .:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_8CiLw85whttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSKfC1E3vc4

I got one of those calls but from Microsoft in India. You know the one where they haver detected a problem on your PC.....anyway I let her run on a bit and asked her straight out 'are you lying to me?'. Much to my surprise she said 'yes sir' and I asked her 'why are you lying?' and she replied 'because that is what I am being paid to do'. I was taken aback by her honesty. Try the line next time you get such a call.

I got one of those calls but from Microsoft in India. You know the one where they haver detected a problem on your PC.....anyway I let her run on a bit and asked her straight out 'are you lying to me?'. Much to my surprise she said 'yes sir' and I asked her 'why are you lying?' and she replied 'because that is what I am being paid to do'. I was taken aback by her honesty. Try the line next time you get such a call.

Just had yet another call from "Microsoft" trying to get me to plant a virus of theirs into my PC.

This time the chap claimed he was calling fom Microsoft Ireland in Dublin 8.So I asked him where exactly in Dublin 8 he was calling me from,he said "eh hold on a second sir" and hung up.

When will this chap ever learn????ROFL:D

We also had one of these callers last week and he knew that the Microsoft building is in Sandyford, but when I asked him for the exact address, he hung up.

No doubt they will polish their act and will have more convincing details when they call the next potential victim.

I got the same call this morning. I asked him where was he calling from and he said London. I then ask for the exact address and he said Main Street, London!!!

I was beginning to feel a bit left out as I'd never had one of these calls... then finally it happened ! :)

I'm afraid I was very boring and replied 'No I don't' and hung up.

Got another one this morning - told him I would connect him to the person responsible for the computer.

Put him on hold with Coldplay's Yellow and went back to him a couple of times to apologise for the delay, explained how we value his call and the responsible person would be with him shortly.

He eventually hung up, but it sure is fun! ;)

Its a shame they cant get something on the news in Indian to let them know that were just laughing at them. But I suppose that woul remove all the fund if they stopped

Its a shame they cant get something on the news in Indian to let them know that were just laughing at them. But I suppose that woul remove all the fund if they stopped

The only reason they keep calling is because people are still getting caught out, if no one was to do what they ask, they'd move on to some other scam.

These calls are on the increase again, I got two today and have received others recently. As above post states, they must be still conning people.

It's hard to believe anyone with a computer can still be taken in.

I told my caller today that he must be mistaken, as I didn't have a computer. He paused only for a moment, then came back with "I believe you have a laptop". I'm afraid I lied for a second time, but yes he is improving the act.
I can't imagine the "honest" lady lasted very long at that job.

Got the phone call today from the Indian sounding lady telling me I had a problem with my computer. I led her on a bit as she into great detail about the malware that was infecting my computer. She asked me to switch it on so she could repair it. When she thought she had me hooked I was passed over to a male speaker who was going to sort out my problems. I then said to him that he was talking to a policeman in a police station. He immediately terminated the call by saying that there was a mistake at their end.
Interestingly just reading post 2 above from elleb, I had only a few days ago received a communication from Vodafone technical support. I am in the process of switching providers at the moment from Eircom to Vodafone. I wonder is there some sort of window available to these scam artists in between switching?

Interestingly just reading post 2 above from elleb, I had only a few days ago received a communication from Vodafone technical support. I am in the process of switching providers at the moment from Eircom to Vodafone. I wonder is there some sort of window available to these scam artists in between switching?

There's no great conspiracy at play, they just continuously call numbers until someone answers. Like any phishing style attack, they occasionally hit someone for whom their approach correlates with something going on in their lives..

Have received these regularly in my job over the past few years, always just hang up the phone straightaway.

These guys are back in action again this morning. This time caller ID is showing a UK number 0044123412345. Also received a call a few minutes before from a USA number but just dead air that time.

Back