Estate agents signboards - obligatory?

Vonga

Is it oligatory to have an estate agent's signboard outside your property if they are handling the sale? Can they be requested to put the property on their books, photo in their window, on myhome.ie, etc but no actual sign outside the house?

Does the for sale sign not help identify to a passer-by that the house is for sale?.. why not put up a sign??

The idea is to sell your house and a great big whopping sign usually does the job, so why would you want to remove it? You are minimizing your chance of a sale via passing interest by removing it.
I'm sure if you make a request to the agent selling your house not have a sign in the garden they will recommend you keep it, but cant make you as it's still your property untill sold so if you don't want it there it won't be there.

No they're not obligatory at all. If you don't want one tell your estate agent as such and they won't erect one.

Like previous posters have mentioned though there are consequences to not having a sign on your property and you should be prepared to take them.

I understood that auctioneer's signs are for the benefit of the auctioneer and not the seller - when selling my own house in the UK I managed to negotiate a lower fee in order to permit them to put their sign outside my house. The argument is that serious buyers (where are they ?) look in the paper, the auctioneers office or the internet and don;t just drive around looking for signs.

I guess over here there is more of a need for the signs due to the lack of house numbers, road names, postcodes, direction signs etc

didn't have a for sale sign up for my house a few years ago. Sold just as quickly as any other house in the area. We never drove around looking for signs when we were buying first of 2nd house. It's really your choice - after all you're paying for every little thing they do.

Thanks for all your replies. I just have a (probably ridiculous) idea in my head that having a sign outside your house makes you a sitting duck for nosey parkers with nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon. I feel serious buyers would be trawling the estate agents' windows and the internet rather than the back roads of Ireland!

Thanks for all your replies. I just have a (probably ridiculous) idea in my head that having a sign outside your house makes you a sitting duck for nosey parkers with nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon. I feel serious buyers would be trawling the estate agents' windows and the internet rather than the back roads of Ireland!

For what it's worth, in my case in rural Ireland, I first spotted the house I'm currently waiting to close on, because of the sign outside it. That said it was a vacant house whereby I wasn't going to bother anyone by taking a peek round outside before going to the EA (Which would always have been my personal preference anyway rather than having an EA chaperoning me). Because of the multiplicity of EA's many of them with very poor and infrequently updated websites, I'd given up looking at most individual EA's websites and instead looked almost exclusively on Daft.ie and to a lesser extent on Myhome.ie.

As it happened this house wasn't listed on either Daft or Myhome so only for the sign outside I'd probabaly never have went to the EA's own website to find it.

I suppose ultimately, if privacy is your concern, you can make it very clear that viewing is by appointment only and that should deter a good many (admittedly not all) of the "nosey parkers"

Back