Welfarite - an appreciation

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have just heard that Welfarite died recently after a long battle with cancer.

He made a huge contribution to Askaboutmoney. I have selected just a few of his 3,144 posts to show the enormous contribution he made to Askaboutmoney.. Thousands of people, whom he never met, benefited from the answers he provided and thousands more will continue to benefit from the Key Posts he wrote.

He made the complex world of welfare entitlements easier to understand and he combined this with good practical advice. Many of these great posts were written while he was undergoing intensive medical treatment.

A few people asked me if he had official responsibility within the Department to answer questions. He hadn't - he did all this voluntarily.

Askaboutmoney was not the only place he was helping other people. From reading his Facebook page, he was also actively involved in other projects, and brought the same energy, enthusiasm and helpful approach to them also.

I never met Welfarite in person but from his posts on askaboutmoney and from reading his Facebook page, I feel as if I knew him and that we have all lost a friend.

May he rest in peace.

I am very saddened to hear of his death, I think most regular posters on here also felt as if they knew him. He had a wealth of knowledge in his field.

Brendan you have written a fitting tribute to him.

May he Rest In Peace.

I never asked welfarite a question, but boy from reading his replies, did he know his stuff. People like him who give selflessly of their knowledge and time to others are inspirational. Rest in peace, and you give a lovely tribute to him Brendan, thanks on behalf of us plebs.

Yes, it does seem that we have lost a kind friend. He was very generous with his time and contributed enormously to AAM.

I am sad to hear this news.

Marion

My condolences to Welfarite's family.

AAM and its members have lost a great contributor.

R.I.P. Welfarite.

While I never met Welfarite he did answer the odd query for me and loads of others too. If you consider that "knowledge is power" the Welfarite empowered more people than he could have ever guessed....I hope his family find the strength to deal with this very difficult time...

RIP

Like most others on this forum I never met Welfarite but felt I had a trusted friend who was so generous with his time and great fund of knowledge. His replies were so clear, he made many topics particularly SW understandable.

Condolences to family and friends

We miss him

Sincere Condolences to all.

AAM has lost a gentleman poster.

Last edited:
I got info from his posts. he was very generous with his time and his info was most useful. Its hard luck on him.

Oh No, how sad!.

Never met him either, but he was certainly one of life's givers. Happily, and with a huge heart gave of his time, his vast expertise, and himself.

AAM, his family and friends, and humanity in general has lost a great ally.

May his gentle soul rest in peace.

Darth.

very sorry to hear this, he will be badly missed, may he rest in peace.

A sad loss for his family, cancer is a bad thing. I have noticed his posts a lot on AAM and found some to be of benefit to myself.

Its a pity we cannt do something to show support to his family,maybe a small donation from some of us the members of aam, would this be possible Brendan?

Just a thought.

How very sad. I feel as if I have lost someone I knew.

He was such a great help to others that he will be greatly missed. I know the sadness we are feeling is nothing to the loss that his family and friends are feeling but they can be comforted in the knowledge that he helped so many by his contributions to this site.

When a SW question was asked on AAM I would sub-consciously think that was one for Welfarite and he wouldn't disappoint.

Rest in Peace.

Very saddened to hear this news. He will be sorely missed. Such a helpful and courteous man, I often read his posts and was always wiser after doing so.

Rest in peace.

Very sorry to hear of his passing. He gave generously of his time and knowledge on here and was very helpful to a lot of posters. May he rest in peace.

I was only thinking about him the other day, I noticed he hadn't posted in a while and I wondered how he was doing.

A sad loss to his family, friends and to this community.

RIP Welfarite.

Back