Job of enumerator Census 2011

I got a phone call during the week from somebody in the census office asking me if an enumerator had called and if they had gone through the form with me and if I were happy.

Marion

A CEN1 form is left by the enumerator when they have failed to make contact with the householder after a number of visits.

Form E should be filled up by the enumerator in your presence.

So the person answering the helpline was wrong then?

Locall 1890 2011 11:

Then again she did take down my name and phone number and promised to get the supervisor of my enumerator to contact me. I'm still waiting.

I got an email this morning from the Marriott Hotels organisation saying that their emails had been compromised. Last week I got one from Tripadvisor, same thing. Moving Census forms around from CSO to supervisor to enumerator then back to supervisor before going back to CSO seems to me to be a pretty unsafe way of doing things.

Dear Marriott Customer,

We were recently notified by Epsilon, a marketing vendor used by Marriott International, Inc. to manage customer emails, that an unauthorized third party gained access to a number of Epsilon's accounts including Marriott's email list.

In all likelihood, this will not impact you. However, we recommend that you continue to be on the alert for spam emails requesting personal or sensitive information. Please understand and be assured that Marriott does not send emails requesting customers to verify personal information.

We take your privacy very seriously. Marriott has a long-standing commitment to protecting the privacy of the personal information that our guests entrust to us. We regret this has taken place and apologize

Nothing it appears is safe nowadays.

I got an email this morning from the Marriott Hotels organisation saying that their emails had been compromised. Last week I got one from Tripadvisor, same thing. Moving Census forms around from CSO to supervisor to enumerator then back to supervisor before going back to CSO seems to me to be a pretty unsafe way of doing things.

Dear Marriott Customer,

We were recently notified by Epsilon, a marketing vendor used by Marriott International, Inc. to manage customer emails, that an unauthorized third party gained access to a number of Epsilon's accounts including Marriott's email list.

In all likelihood, this will not impact you. However, we recommend that you continue to be on the alert for spam emails requesting personal or sensitive information. Please understand and be assured that Marriott does not send emails requesting customers to verify personal information.

We take your privacy very seriously. Marriott has a long-standing commitment to protecting the privacy of the personal information that our guests entrust to us. We regret this has taken place and apologize

Sorry but what has this got to do with the Census?

Moving Census forms around from CSO to supervisor to enumerator then back to supervisor before going back to CSO seems to me to be a pretty unsafe way of doing things.

Nothing it appears is safe nowadays.

I thought that the post was pretty clear.

Do you generally read just the first

bronco lane is a silly billy

and last paragraphs of all posts?

Why oh why aren't we getting the long term unemployed out there to do this for their dole, rather than paying them a couple of hundred a week to sit at home watching TV3 and drinking Aldi beer?

Why oh why aren't we getting the long term unemployed out there to do this for their dole, rather than paying them a couple of hundred a week to sit at home watching TV3 and drinking Aldi beer?

Probably because;
1) we respect people on the dole, and don't see it as an opportunity to exploit them, and
2) we need the best people to do the job, so we do a normal recruitment process that picks people with the right skills and abilities.

my sister lives on her own and had the census person around last night. He asked how many males living in the house. Is that normal, she is a bit freaked out over it. never asked how many females.

Do you generally read just the first

bronco lane is a silly billy

and last paragraphs of all posts?

Childish post really.

I get the point that Soylent was trying to make as well. If huge corporations cannot protect the information that they have stored on their systems then it is possible that storing documents in the boot of a car ot transferring them for A to B to C and then back again seems to me to be costly, foolish and irresponsible.

Incidentally can someone clarify. Are there two types on envelopes issued to the enumerator for people wishing to return their completed Census Forms? Type plain brown and Type plain browm with H added?

All of us are going to be out of the counry Census night so the Enu called back with another form and also wanted our flight confirmation, when we were travelling, address of where we were staying and when we were getting back, all of that in writing.
I said that's too much information (empty house) so they sent around their supervisor who asked for the eact same information and I refused again as this information is not required per Form E (which I got a hold of myself as the Enu would not give it to me), she insisted she needed it there and then and she had the power to request info not on the form, so I refused, took her name and said I would check it out via the helpline.
I phoned the helpline and they could not help me as they were not familiar with the form!! but took my number and said they would pass my request onto the expert in question.
Later in the day the original Enu phoned me saying she'd had a request to give assistance, so in essence I was back at square one however now I had a copy of Form E with me so could not see anything about flight details/when leaving/when getting back etc, she then told me it was her supervisor who looked for the info, so I told her she could have Form E and no more.
Form E was collected that evening, not a word said.
Power trip on behalf of Super if you ask me.

Spoke to someone who's working as enumerator this year, who mentioned that queries/issues raised on web fora (no specific sites mentioned) were discussed at a training session for the enumerators this week.

Not sure what effect it might have, but it's good to see that at least someone somewhere's taking note of what's happening out there!

Spoke to someone who's working as enumerator this year, who mentioned that queries/issues raised on web fora (no specific sites mentioned) were discussed at a training session for the enumerators this week.

Not sure what effect it might have, but it's good to see that at least someone somewhere's taking note of what's happening out there!

Hope they pick up on the idea of encouraging the unemployed to do this role, as a way to boost their self esteem and give them some valuable work experience.

Anyone I've met doing it over the years has been a school teacher doing it in the evenings. Bless 'em - only the highest paid teachers (on an hourly rate) of any country in the EU!

€2k for a week's work really does seem excessive though. I know I'd do it, if I only had the time.

In reality, we should look to the UK where they are eliminating it completely to be replaced by a variety of data sources collected by companies such as Experian. These companies draw their source data from the voters roll, utility bills, TV licencing records, banks and credit card data, etc and so give a far more comprehensive and dynamic view of the populus than any census could do.

However, we seem to be addicted to wasting public money in this country, so the census (leis an muinteoir) will continue for decades to come

Hope they pick up on the idea of encouraging the unemployed to do this role, as a way to boost their self esteem and give them some valuable work experience.
Nice to see that you've seen the light and moved on from 'force them to do this work for their dole'. Congratulations. About 20% of enumerators were on the Live Register, though there may well have been other unemployed people (e.g. housewives) not on the Live Register who took up the job also.

The problem for anyone unemployed is the back-loading of most of the payment. This would leave them with €100 per week to survive for the first few weeks.

€2k for a week's work really does seem excessive though. I know I'd do it, if I only had the time.
You'd need a lot more than a week. The hourly rate about €10 an hour - hardly excessive.

In reality, we should look to the UK where they are eliminating it completely to be replaced by a variety of data sources collected by companies such as Experian. These companies draw their source data from the voters roll, utility bills, TV licencing records, banks and credit card data, etc and so give a far more comprehensive and dynamic view of the populus than any census could do.
Nonsense - They are doing a full census in the UK this year - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12873011 but don't let the facts hold you back from yet another anti-Irish-public-sector rant.

Back