visa debit card compromised

matildajane

Hi, I am very security conscious re. shopping online etc. I would rarely use my visa debit card as I feel credit card is less of a big deal if it is compromised. Anyway despite all my checking of sites etc my card has been used. I noticed the activity on my account and rang banking365. The girl assured me that the transaction had no authorisation code (verified by visa) so would just drop off the account. However she didn't tell me to cancel my card. Later that day I got a call from the security section of BOI as other attempts had been made to use my card online. Luckily the transactions they tried were too big and there wasn't sufficient money in my account to cover them! the card has now been cancelled. Does anyone know if the fraud people get back to you to let you know the outcome of their investigation? I have a suspicion an atm withdrawal in co. Kildare was the culprit. The atm machine was well hidden in the shop. No cash withdrawals were attempted on the account so I am assuming my card was skimmed. I do check atms but I guess they are very sophisticated.

They won't tell you anything about their investigation.

On a different point, I used the Ulsterbank ATM in Rathmines recently and I thought the card slot was a bit dodgy. You could nearly get you fingernail behind it and it felt a bit loose. My card hit off the lip on the way out and took 3 attempts for my card to come out. Seemed like it wasn't lined up correctly. I rang them and told them this and they cancelled my card.

I'm always wary now after a card was skimmed before.

No follow up with boi, our card was used for online transactions...it had to hav been skimmed re boi local pass machine as only place we use it...bank said maintenance was happening in the atm that week and to forget about it...boi refunded the money, then few weeks later took same list of transactions out againn we had to go back in and request money back again...terrible customer service re whole thing..

Back