Lower Attic Header Tanks

roker

My header tanks in the attic are mounted about 8 ft high making it impossible to insulate, I have a heater underneath if it gets too cold up there. I am afraid to go away during the winter months in case it freezes up. I am thinking of lowering it to about a foot above the ceiling so that I can insulate it and can rely upon the heat from the hot press to keep it warm. I know I will lose some pressure to the shower but I recall my last house was like this and there was still sufficient flow from the shower. Any comments would be welcome.

A 7ft drop will be a significant drop in pressure. I would only lower by the amount that you will require to be able to get insulation around the tank. Keep as high as will allow.

you could lower it as little as neccessary and put foil backed foam insualtion around it.
Probably the best insualtor for the thickness of it, which starts at 25mm and goes up to 150mm. Don't forget to do a lid for it and cut a hole for the expansion pipe to sit over the tank. If you can reach the rising main pipe (usually black plastic pipe) you should wrap it with rockwool also.
Watch the use of heaters though. Dangerous things in an attic. If the temperature in the attic is a big worry, get an electric thermometer and wire it in. I have one that sounds a buzzer if the temperature drops to a level I determined - 5 dcel.
Ebay have them. Mini digital LCD temperature is the search string.

Update on this. I have lowered the tank to about 18 inch above the joist, I got information on the web about minimum height being 1 meter above the shower head.
There is no appreciable difference in shower pressure. I just need to cover and lag it now.

Back