what a cheek by Alan Shatter- use your own money.

NOAH

I have just heard that Alan Shatter is going to donate his 70k severqance payment to Jack &Jill instead of playing the white man and just accepting it was a "fluke" that he was entitled to it. And he even voted to do away with such severance payments.

Its easy to give away other peoples money ie ours even I could do that.

Jack&Jill should refuse to accept it as it is tainted.

He has fallen off the scale in my estimation now.

But one good thing it will be another nail in FG's coffin.

Tomorrows newspapers will be ripping into him and FG. It will backfire badly for him and FG.

If I had 70k coming to me, that was 100% legal , I would find it hard to let it go. Just sayin`

The JnJ couple that run it are friends for years he said earlier today. Sure was'nt the wife appointed a Senator by Enda himself.
The golden circles look out for each other in this country.

Well well, that's really cocking a snoop at the voters, not only taking the money but then pretending to give it to charity but actual give it to friends.

Urgh and they take medical cards from the needy.

Leaves a very bad taste now. I wonder will JnJ pay a price?

Why? Haven't Jack and Jill been one of the biggest critics of the Government recently with regard to medical cards. The whole stunt was Shatters attempt to embarrass Enda Kenny. It worked as well.

Jack & Jill do incredible work & provide huge support for families, don't think it's fair to refer to them as part of a golden circle - they may be but they have used that privilege to help others & provide vital services. The disgrace is that bereaved parents had to create a service which should have been provided by government/hse.

The Jack & Jill Foundation can provide palliative care nursing for half of the cost of the state providing the same service.
They do fantastic work and, in many cases, are the only real support that parents with very sick or disabled children get.
It is a perfect model to show how wasteful and inefficient our state services are and the suffering and despair that is a direct result of that waste and inefficiency.
I don’t care why Shatter gave them the money, I’m just glad he did.

Well well, that's really cocking a snoop at the voters, not only taking the money but then pretending to give it to charity but actual give it to friends.

Urgh and they take medical cards from the needy.

That's a disgraceful post. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Its easy to give away other peoples money ie ours even I could do that.

How is this other people's money? You may not like it (and I think it's a disgrace that public servants get lumpsum payments like this) it's part of his contract. It's not someone else's money but his own.

Jack&Jill should refuse to accept it as it is tainted.

How exactly?

Jack & Jill do great work so the money is going to a very worthy cause and I expect it will go far in providing much needed assistance to those who really need it. They'll probably spend it better and more efficiently that the government do too. The tax payer is at no real loss in that sense.

However, won't Alan Shatter be pocketing a nice tax-break as a result of this so in effect he will be gaining while playing the philanthropic card?

He just gave away more than he will take home in a year as a TD. It was the right think to do but how many of us would have been temped to keep it?

I was afraid of this - the wonderful Jack and Jill foundation being tainted in some people's eyes by association with Inda, FG, Shatter and Shatter's severance pay. The devious move could well have been designed to move the spotlight onto Jonathan & Co and away from the disgraced Shatter.

As a charitable organisation I'm not sure the JandJ Foundation can refuse a substantial donation that is legal and not the proceeds of crime, etc. One of my favourite charities and my family has benefitted from their wonderful work. I have assisted with fund-raising in the past and I will continue to as long as I am able.

I was afraid of this - the wonderful Jack and Jill foundation being tainted in some people's eyes by association with Inda, FG, Shatter and Shatter's severance pay. The devious move could well have been designed to move the spotlight onto Jonathan & Co and away from the disgraced Shatter.

As a charitable organisation I'm not sure the JandJ Foundation can refuse a substantial donation that is legal and not the proceeds of crime, etc. One of my favourite charities and my family has benefitted from their wonderful work. I have assisted with fund-raising in the past and I will continue to as long as I am able.

I don't think they are tainted BUT like other charities, they have a lot to do when it comes to transparency. I had a look on their website and I can't find any sign of their financial statements. The only thing I can find is that the CEO has a salary of €90,000. I stand corrected if the accounts are there.

I am not accusing them of waste or saying they don't do wonderful work but the days of me just handing over money to whatever charity however worthy without full transparency are over.

This is off topic though.

I have no issue with what Shatter did. To be honest, I wouldn't have cared if he had kept it. He was entitled to it. I just didn't like the political stunt of calling a press conference to make the big announcement. It was designed to embarrass the Government and was childish.

Back