Alan Shatter resigns as Minister for Justice

mf1

I'm not his biggest fan but even so................................

mf

Glad he's gone, but on the back of a data breach about a tax cheat who gets to stay. What a great little country.

Very intelligent minister. His problem was that he knew it and thought everyone was else was too stupid to understand. Will be a loss but should have gone before now... Enda Kenny's loyalty to his people will be his downfall yet.

A very intelligent minister and one with a legal background would have known he was breaching the data protection act when he disclosed about MW. And it was a cheap shot so serves him right.

If you consider shatter intelligent then why did he not appear before the house and announce his resignation?

He went before he was left with no other option. He slinked away... I could go on but with this government its the " same as it ever was"

Lawyers will be happy as Shatters reform of the legal system will not come to pass.

Was a total political liability with about the last 6 months. Someone should have told him to put away the shovel.

A real cautionary tale for those who think intelligence is sufficient for the political game and that the little people will eventually accept that Daddy knows best. Very adversarial and personal in his approach and I cant say I'm sorry he's gone, as a FG voter I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

Was a total political liability with about the last 6 months. Someone should have told him to put away the shovel.

A real cautionary tale for those who think intelligence is sufficient for the political game and that the little people will eventually accept that Daddy knows best. Very adversarial and personal in his approach and I cant say I'm sorry he's gone, as a FG voter I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

I said he had to go months ago and I agree with you about his personality but at the same time, he will be a loss to the Irish Government. I disliked him but he was first Minister of Justice who was willing to tackle things like family law and equality issues in this Country head on. He had the moral courage to stick his head above the pulpit on many issues that other politicians would have been afraid to touch with a bargepole.

His handling of the Garda crisis was completely inept and hard to understand but he was a brave politician in many other respects and we need brave politicians.

Having said all that, I have never seen a politician come across so unlikable. Amazing he ever got elected!

He had the moral courage to stick his head above the pulpit on many issues that other politicians would have been afraid to touch with a bargepole.

Ah they don't worry about the pulpit generally, they all like a good preach... It's the parapet they're afraid of..! ;)

Lawyers will be happy as Shatters reform of the legal system will not come to pass.

I'm afraid of this> will the new Minister take it up? Padraig McLoghlainn of SF on Prime Time last night blamed the Shatter for not implementing it as it's been in his dept for a couple of years now, that Shatter was inf act holding it up. So not sure what to think on that one.
But anything that scares the legal eagles gets a thumbs up from me, so am hoping it goes through asap.

His handling of the whistleblowers was a disgrace. His response to GSOC on the surveillance issue was another disgrace.
And IMO, the issuing of 80,000 citizenships over the past 3 years at a time when we had record unemployment and tens of thousands of our young people fleeing the country, was the ultimate disgrace.

I'm afraid of this> will the new Minister take it up? Padraig McLoghlainn of SF on Prime Time last night blamed the Shatter for not implementing it as it's been in his dept for a couple of years now, that Shatter was inf act holding it up. So not sure what to think on that one.
But anything that scares the legal eagles gets a thumbs up from me, so am hoping it goes through asap.

I doubt reform of the legal system was ever going to be quite a simple a crash-bang-wallop done and dusted. It wouldn't have required any form of subterfuge on the part of the Minister for Justice to slow it down, simply getting something water-tight together to present in a paper would have been hard work and would have faced challenges all the way.

And IMO, the issuing of 80,000 citizenships over the past 3 years at a time when we had record unemployment and tens of thousands of our young people fleeing the country, was the ultimate disgrace.
I am a little shocked by the sentiment, that is hardly the most politic statement a person could make. Besides, what exactly does one have to do with the other? In the first place the new citizens were perfectly entitled to apply for citizenship and they met the criteria to achieve it - it isn't exactly as if Alan Shatter has been standing at Dublin Airport with a free passports stand, or worse still, selling Irish citizenship and passports to dubious business connections abroad as a previous government did. That these people feel strongly enough and positive enough that they want to belong to Ireland and take up citizenship in the country they (most probably) live and work in is to be applauded. Immigration was absolutely not responsible for the financial crisis or the recession or the consequent flight of the young. Denying citizenship to thousands on such a spurious basis would not have ensured employment for those people who chose to emigrate. Of those 80,0000 new citizens the vast majority will be contributing members of society.

Back