Relationship ended. I'm moving back into house soon - What does other half pay?

RichieRich

Long story short:

Broke up with my OH a few months ago. We both moved out of our jointly-owned house and rented it out. I'm moving back into it in a few months. What should I be asking my OH to pay for?

Thanks

Did you sign an agreement when you bought the house?

Financially...
You should pay him half the rent

In practice, you should pay more of the mortgage interest - maybe it all?

As the "landlord" he would be responsible for major repairs and maybe for decorating it between lets.

In practice, you should come to some overall arrangement on paying the interest on the mortgage in lieu of rent.

It's very important to distinguish between the interest and the full repayment.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan, but I'm confused tbh! Our monthly mortgage repayment is 1500. I could just about afford that on my own.

However, you say if I move back into the house on my own, I should be paying my OH half the rent? Can you clarify please? I assumed it would be down to my OH to pay something? Seems I'm wrong.

Currently the rent on the property doesn't even cover the mortgage, that's why I was planning on moving back in myself.

You should probably pay the going rate for rent in that area. I would suggest you look on daft and ring a few landlords and ask them what they got, not what they had it on offer for. If for example the going rate for rent was 1000, then you pay 1000 a month off the mortage and for the remaining 500 - it should be split evenly.

So you end up paying 1250 a month and the other half pays 250. Any repairs should be covered by yourself as you are living their.

All the above really depends on why you are moving back and what the furture outcome will be for the house.

Will it be sold ?
Will it be sold and both parties divide the profit / neg equity equally ?

If your moving back because you have no tenants then it would be reasonable to pay the going rate for rent.
If your moving back just to suit yourself, then maybe you should pay the full mortgage.

I would imagine he would have to pay half of the remaining mortgage, (assuming the house is in negative equity).

Hi Richie

I will do the fair calculations for you if you give me the figures. It's easier to explain it that way.

1) Did you sign an agreement when you bought the house?

2) Did you contribute equally to the deposit? If not, how much did each person contribute?

3) How much is the house worth today?

4) What is the balance on the mortgage?

5) What is the interest rate on the mortgage?

6) What is the remaining term?

7) What is the fair market rent for the house

8) Why are you moving back in? Because you can't get a tenant or because it suits you?

I would have thought this is rather straight forward? If the mortgage is 1500, und you can get 1000 euro rent (excluding bills), then the remaining 500 has to be split by both parties (joint owners), as have to be any maintainance and repairs etc - all that kind of stuff that landlords usually are supposed to cover.

In my opinion it doesn't matter who the tennant is (in this case one of the owners). If anything it's a bonus, as you'll have less hassle with the tennants!

All of the above of course assumes joint ownership and that neither party wants or can afford to sell the house...

I would have thought this is rather straight forward?

Yes, but the OP doesn't seem to realise that she has to pay rent to herself and to her ex.

And it's better to split the mortgage payment than to actually pay rent which would be subject to tax.

Brendan

Back