Garth Brooks/Dublin City Council

I don't see the attraction of Brooks; we've enough cowboys of our own.

I don't either but the fact remains that 400,000 people were willing to spend an awful lot of money to se him. Out of curiosity, does anyone know the exact reason why 5 concerts weren't allowed. I don't care about the rights and wrongs. Just the actual reasons laid out by DCC. Have they been made public?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the exact reason why 5 concerts weren't allowed. I don't care about the rights and wrongs. Just the actual reasons laid out by DCC. Have they been made public?

DCC linked on page 3 of this thread.

DCC linked on page 3 of this thread.

Cheers. So the reasons were:

The scale, magnitude and number of the concerts with an expected attendance of in excess of 80,000 people per night over five consecutive nights, three of them being week nights is unprecedented for Croke Park Stadium.

Surely just because something is unprecedented doesn't automatically mean permission should be refused. It should lead to increased analysis but I fail to see why it is one of the grounds for refusal.

Three consecutive concerts have already taken place in Croke Park from the 23rd to 25th of May 2014. Given that Croke Park is situated in a heavily populated residential area, five shows in a row following on from the three concerts already held there this year is considered an over intensification of use of the stadium for the holding of special events/concerts. It would be in effect permitting an increase of 100% in terms of the maximum number of concerts that had previously been held in Croke Park in any given year since the redevelopment of the stadium.

That's fair enough but why grant three? That was still permitting an increase of almost 100%.

The cumulative effect on residents and on some businesses in the Croke Park and surrounding neighbourhoods, of licencing five shows in a row, three of them on weekdays, would lead to an unacceptable level of disruption to their lives/livelihoods over an unprecedented and prolonged period caused by, concert related noise, access restrictions, traffic disruption, illegal parking and potential antisocial behaviour. The City Council would also be concerned with the precedent that would be created if five consecutive concerts in a row of this scale were licenced.

DCC received 373 submissions on this application. This is a tiny percentage of the local area. It has since transpired that a large number of these submissions were fake and that other residents in the area wanted the concerts to go ahead for employment reasons. So 400,000 people buy tickets basically saying they want a concert to be put on. Less than 300 people complain about the concert being put on. Most local businesses would also be in favour. Hmmmmm. Again, I don't understand the precedent argument. Simply state that is a once off thing and in future, no events of this size will be granted permission.

DCC have a responsibility to the whole of Dublin City. That's what they always say when it comes to building infratructure projects in areas that local's object to. Leaving aside Garth Brooks and Aiken, I fail to see how DCC can say it made the correct decision. Do the opinions of less than 300 people really outweigh the economic boost that Dublin would have enjoyed? If so, then good luck to DCC with the next waste disposal plant they decide to build.

Surely just because something is unprecedented doesn't automatically mean permission should be refused. It should lead to increased analysis but I fail to see why it is one of the grounds for refusal.
How did you conclude that 'unprecendented' = 'automatic refusal'? Mentioning 'unprecendent' in the response does not mean that 'unprecendent' = 'automatic refusal' - it simply points out that the fact that the event was unprecedented was one of the factors.

DCC received 373 submissions on this application. This is a tiny percentage of the local area. It has since transpired that a large number of these submissions were fake and that other residents in the area wanted the concerts to go ahead for employment reasons. So 400,000 people buy tickets basically saying they want a concert to be put on. Less than 300 people complain about the concert being put on. Most local businesses would also be in favour. Hmmmmm. Again, I don't understand the precedent argument. Simply state that is a once off thing and in future, no events of this size will be granted permission.
Planning is not a numbers game. It's not a case of 'I got more supporters than you got objections, so I win'. The planners listen to the objections, and listen to the supporters, and then make their decision. Any suggestion that it had become a numbers game would lead to mass X-Factor style voting campaigns to bump up the numbers on either side.

DCC have a responsibility to the whole of Dublin City. That's what they always say when it comes to building infratructure projects in areas that local's object to. Leaving aside Garth Brooks and Aiken, I fail to see how DCC can say it made the correct decision. Do the opinions of less than 300 people really outweigh the economic boost that Dublin would have enjoyed?
As described above, the economic arguments have been overplayed. Should DCC really be trying to take all that money into Dublin, if that it taking large amounts of leisure spending out of Cork and Limerick? With the concerts not going ahead, surely most of the disposable money will be spent in Ireland anyway, with the same economic impact - in fact, maybe with a higher impact if people aren't paying stupid money to hotels and B&Bs.
If so, then good luck to DCC with the next waste disposal plant they decide to build. [/B]
It's been quite a while since DCC built any waste disposal plant, and will probably be quite a while more before another one comes along.

How did you conclude that 'unprecendented' = 'automatic refusal'? Mentioning 'unprecendent' in the response does not mean that 'unprecendent' = 'automatic refusal' - it simply points out that the fact that the event was unprecedented was one of the factors.

But why just because something is unprecedented is it a factor in refusing something? Just because something hasn't happened before isn't a reason for explaining why it can't happen. It's simply a fact. It's not a reason.

Planning is not a numbers game. It's not a case of 'I got more supporters than you got objections, so I win'. The planners listen to the objections, and listen to the supporters, and then make their decision. Any suggestion that it had become a numbers game would lead to mass X-Factor style voting campaigns to bump up the numbers on either side.

Why do you continuously misquote people in this thread? Where did I say it was purely a numbers game? It was DCC themselves that stated that they took the over 300 submissions into account when making their decision. They mentioned the number, not me. I simply pointed out if they wanted to go down the numbers game, there is another side to the equation. It has since transpired that a large percentage of these submissions were fake. On that basis alone, DCC based part of their decision on flawed information. We don't know what weight DCC gave to these submissions when making their decision but less than 300 objections is not a lot considering DCC were talking about 'unacceptable disruption to their lives'. It is pretty obvious that the majority of residents in the local area didn't consider the disruption to be so unacceptable that they lodged an objection.

As described above, the economic arguments have been overplayed. Should DCC really be trying to take all that money into Dublin, if that it taking large amounts of leisure spending out of Cork and Limerick? With the concerts not going ahead, surely most of the disposable money will be spent in Ireland anyway, with the same economic impact - in fact, maybe with a higher impact if people aren't paying stupid money to hotels and B&Bs.

Sorry but that is a completely ridiculous argument. DCC should refuse five concerts because of the economic damage they would cause Limerick and Cork? So on that basis, all large sporting events and concerts that have the potential to attract people into Dublin should be banned because they are causing economic damage to the provincial areas. I am going down to Galway Arts Festival for a week from Dubin. Should Galway County Council have refused the license for that because Galway is getting money I could be spending somewhere else.

DCC have a responsibility to Dublin and the businesses that pay rates in Dublin. They are not responsible for Irish GDP figures.

Anyway, I don't really care either way but I probably would if I was a Dublin rates payer as it looks like a very poor decison based on the explanations they gave for reaching it. You are obviously very passionate about the subject and disagree so there you go. I am moving on with my life anyway......

But why just because something is unprecedented is it a factor in refusing something? Just because something hasn't happened before isn't a reason for explaining why it can't happen. It's simply a fact. It's not a reason.
No-one has said that 'just because something is unprecendented' that it is a factor in refusing it. It's not the unprecedented bit on its own. It's the unprecendented bit as part of an overall picture.

Is it really that unusual? It's not an unusual question at all, in any situation to ask 'Have we done this kind of thing before?'. It doesn't mean that we refuse it because we haven't done it before, but it does mean that scrutinise it a bit more carefully.

Why do you continuously misquote people in this thread? Where did I say it was purely a numbers game? It was DCC themselves that stated that they took the over 300 submissions into account when making their decision. They mentioned the number, not me. I simply pointed out if they wanted to go down the numbers game, there is another side to the equation. It has since transpired that a large percentage of these submissions were fake. On that basis alone, DCC based part of their decision on flawed information. We don't know what weight DCC gave to these submissions when making their decision but less than 300 objections is not a lot considering DCC were talking about 'unacceptable disruption to their lives'. It is pretty obvious that the majority of residents in the local area didn't consider the disruption to be so unacceptable that they lodged an objection.
Please don't misquote me. I didn't say that you said that it was purely a numbers game. I simply said that it's not purely a numbers game. You brought up the question of 400,000 ticket buyers vs 300 objectors. It's a meaningless comparison.

Your conclusion that "the majority of residents in the local area didn't consider the disruption to be so unacceptable that they lodged an objection" is not sound. There could be many, many reasons for someone not to object. Maybe their literacy is poor, or their English language skills or poor. Maybe they've no idea how planning processes work. Maybe they were intimidated by others in their community one way or other. Who knows. You've opted for a single explanation for their reasons for not objecting, which has no basis in fact.

I'm not an expert in planning, but as I understand it, the question of fraudulent objections would be a moot issue, for the purposes of the planning decision (though indeed it should be investigated by Gardai). It's not a question of how many people object. It's a question of what reasons for objections are given. I'd guess that it is fairly unlikely that the fraudulent objections brought new information on the table, so they really wouldn't have impacted the decision either way.

Sorry but that is a completely ridiculous argument. DCC should refuse five concerts because of the economic damage they would cause Limerick and Cork? So on that basis, all large sporting events and concerts that have the potential to attract people into Dublin should be banned because they are causing economic damage to the provincial areas. I am going down to Galway Arts Festival for a week from Dubin. Should Galway County Council have refused the license for that because Galway is getting money I could be spending somewhere else.

DCC have a responsibility to Dublin and the businesses that pay rates in Dublin. They are not responsible for Irish GDP figures.
For someone who accuses others of misquoting, I think you might want to take the stone out of thine own eye first.

I didn't say that "DCC should refuse five concerts because of the economic damage they would cause Limerick and Cork". I said that the economic arguments for approving extra concerts were overplayed, because it is largely just moving spending around within Ireland, rather than bringing fresh money into Ireland. As other posters have pointed out, in fact, it might well be taking more money out of Ireland (in Garth's back pocket and in the pockets of his overseas crew) than it brought in.

Anyway, I don't really care either way but I probably would if I was a Dublin rates payer as it looks like a very poor decison based on the explanations they gave for reaching it. You are obviously very passionate about the subject and disagree so there you go. I am moving on with my life anyway......
Actually, I don't care that much about Garth at all. What I do care about is the knee-jerk reaction of how the Government or the Council screwed. Thankfully, there hasn't been much knee-jerking here on AAM.

You are absolutely right in everything you say. I withdraw all comments on the subject. DCC are above approach and I apologise for questioning the basis of their decision. Now off to Galway to spend a lot of money. Not that the local economy and Galway County Council should be happy about that because its only money moving within Ireland......

You'd have to go back and look at the planning permission granted to Croke Park which included reference to holding such events. The Council stated allowing all 5 would represent an intensification in use of Croke Park as a concert venue, so in line with planning law, new permission would really be required.

Back