Bertie wishes he could have seen (saw?) the crash coming.

"Mr Ahern, who infamously said economists predicting the collapse of the housing market should killed (sic) themselves, laughed at the suggestion of listening to dissident views."

Nor were former accounts clerks who falsely claimed to be "accountants"

As far as I know - Bertie was indeed a member of an an accountancy institute.

That said - the UK authorities did not for see the banking crisis either.

That made me laugh after a tough day. Thanks!

Good stuff, that gave me a laugh of a Monday morning

The UK FSA or UK central bank did not see it coming either.

Mistakes were made here.

But in fairness to the man - he was vital to the Peace Process.

I don't believe in scape-goating.

Mistakes were made here.

But in fairness to the man - he was vital to the Peace Process.

I don't believe in scape-goating.

Here's a tip;

When you're in a hole, stop digging.

Mistakes were made here.
The UK government didn't end up mortgaging the future of the next two generations to stop the country going under.

The Boom (Bubble) here was flagged as far back as 2000 by everyone from our celebrity economists, the ERSI, the IMF, The Economist magazine and the OECD.

The UK government didn't end up mortgaging the future of the next two generations to stop the country going under.

Bertie and the PD’s were in power at that time, and for the following 7 years. Unusually the PD’s were probably more restrained in the rhetoric of excess than the opposition. It is worth noting that the only opposition politician that called for restraint during this period and cuts was Richard Bruton. He did so repeatedly inside and outside of the Dail. Labour, the Looney Left and the rest of FG limited their criticism of the then government to “you should spend more”.
Bertie is to blame but I don’t think the net result would have been any better with an FG/Labour government during the boom. Some of the excessive spending would have simply been directed elsewhere.

Bertie wishes he could of seeing the crash coming, but the smoke and daggers blinded him.

Back