How to entertain a blind man

Blossy

Have a relative staying with me for the weekend and he is blind? how can i entertain him? (no funny answers!!! ) any suggestions?

Have a relative staying with me for the weekend and he is blind? how can i entertain him? (no funny answers!!! ) any suggestions?

You could ask him what he enjoys doing?

You could bring him to a musical event (National Concert Hall).

he is very very easy going so he will only tell me carry on with what i normally do at the weekends! Dont think doing jagermeister shots will go down well!!! :D
ya ill sus out whats on music wise!

he is very very easy going so he will only tell me carry on with what i normally do at the weekends! Dont think doing jagermeister shots will go down well!!! :D
ya ill sus out whats on music wise!
Maybe he might enjoy the shots with you, maybe go for a meal first and then down some shots with friends and have a good crack. The very thing he might enjoy instead of all the fuss...

Eye spy? Only kidding...swimming, music, concert, audio books, dvd's, pub, olympics coverage, surfing the interweb (with appropriate technology e.g. JAWS screen reader)? As staples says how does he entertain himself?

Off topic but I was watching a program about one of the survivors of the Omagh bombing who lost her sight. She was stir frying vegetables for herself including cutting them, frying etc, so I suspect you'd be surprised how much he can do. I know she was in her own home and would have been used to the surroundings...

Off topic but I was watching a program about one of the survivors of the Omagh bombing who lost her sight. She was stir frying vegetables for herself including cutting them, frying etc, so I suspect you'd be surprised how much he can do.

What are you saying? That the OP should get him to make dinner?:)

Might kill two birds with one stone all the same.

What are you saying? That the OP should get him to make dinner?:)

Might kill two birds with one stone all the same.

When I was in college a pal of mine had a grand-uncle of his home from England stay for the weekend. The old guy was blind and we were anticipating that our pal would have to stay home with him as surely he wasn't interested in tagging along with us and if he did it would kill our social life. Turns out he was the life and soul of the party, drank us all under the table and having him along was a good conversation starter ;). ended up being one of the best weekends we had in college and we still talk about it whenever we meet up. Sadly he died a few years later and we never met him again, but as other posters have said its amazing what blind people can do. We tend to think (me included) blind means incapable which is far from the case.

Hi all, thanks for your replies, he has been blind for almost 27 years, and has ventured to the cinema, he even drove a car for a few yards, just to get the feeling again....he lives on his own in Dublin so is very self sifficient....we went out on the sat and watched Shawshank on the Fri, great film as its almost compltely narrated! :D
Thanks again!

Back