BMW VIP Event...any real savings to be made?

Squonk

I got a nice glossy leaflet in the post recently inviting me to a BMW VIP event at my local car dealership where I had bought a BMW in the past. It talks about great savings to be made for "VIP" customers over-and-above "normal" savings (for non-VIPs).

I presume other car brands also hold promos such as these?

Anyhow, I'm wondering is there any real savings to be had at such events or are they just a marketing gimmick?

Hello,

I am on the mailing list for three of their dealerships, all of whom have invited me to at least one (possibly two in some cases) events over the past 12-months. I think they have been running these VIP promotions for two, if not three years now.

The staff sometimes have to dress up in black and white, on occassion there is a bit of finger food I suspect they ship in cars from other dealerships to make it look like they have an endless supply of cars for sale, both new and secondhand.

While they lead us to believe it's a "VIP" event by invitation only and you have to confirm your attending, make an appointment blah blah blah I seriously doubt they would turn someone away who wanted to go into the showroom without an invite on a VIP day, or that they give any additional genuine discount.

Ultimately, BMW are in the business of selling cars and their dealers will negotiate the best deal they can each and every day they are open for business.

I've now grown very tired of this market effort and would far rather they gave me a BMW hat or voucher towards accessories etc. for going to the sales event.

It's all part of the "if you buy a BMW you're better than your neighbour" thing BMW Ireland are pushing. It's a pity as they are great cars but the brand image they are looking to build would put me off buying one.

It's all part of the "if you buy a BMW you're better than your neighbour" thing BMW Ireland are pushing. It's a pity as they are great cars but the brand image they are looking to build would put me off buying one.

Try telling that to owners of 520D models that have had their timing chain break/stretched or owners of Minis that have had their timing chain / tensioner stretched or broken,

The chain fault is well known in both models, BMW refuse to acknowledge.

I'm a Mercedes man now after having had three 520D's....just have to get Mrs Palerider to sell her beloved Mini ( €1100 recently spent replacing tensioner/chain/sprockets in a 40k mile car with FMSH...would have been covered if happened in some other countries not here.....rant over... )

Didn't think the Mercs were very reliable either. Which model do you have? Happy overall?

E250 cdi, it got new injectors under warranty, pleased with the car, 24k miles, really like the 5 series though just never again.

Wasn't the BMW timing belt an issue with the older BMWs with the N47 engines? Pre-2010?

Merc's are nothing to write home about from a reliability point of view though the newer models seem to have improved.

Back