Means test, paying maintenance.

davda

Quick question

I'm divorced and I pay my ex wife maintenance, my current partner recently lost her job and had to submit various documents for means test for social welfare.

I have a court order for maintenance and she submitted a copy of this order as well as my wage slips, the person she was dealing with told her that they didn't count maintenance paid only my gross wages are taken into account . Is this true ?

They told her they didn't think she would be entitled to anything as my wages are too high, my gross pay is about €710 after tax, prsi, usc etc that comes down to around €570 and after maintenance we have around €270,

How is maintenance dealt with for means tests? I have searched and the only mention of it I can find are in relation to the person receiving maintenance, and it is classed as income, surely they can't count it as income for me as well ?

Thanks for any help.

So if she is not better off on allowance,then they will pay her the €188 personal jsb.

Just being nosey(!) but are you getting tax and USC relief on your maintenance payments?

Or this...

"..If the maintenance payment is for the benefit of a child then it is ignored for tax purposes. The spouse who makes the payment is not entitled to a tax deduction for it and the spouse receiving the payment is not taxed on it.

A maintenance payment for the benefit of a separated spouse is taxable for the receiving spouse. The paying spouse does not pay tax on it; it may be deducted from their taxable income. Both spouses in this case are taxed as single people..."

Last post honest!

Average weekly earnings Personal rate
Less than €150 €84.50
€150 - €219.99 €121.40
€220 - €299.99 €147.30
€300 or more €188

Back