Converting attic to Bathroom & Office

kaza

Hi,

I have a three bed house, which has a downstairs toilet for guests and an en-suite on the master bedroom - hence the main bathroom is used by the kids mainly. We currently use the box room as an office. If we convert the attic to a bedroom, then we effectively still only have three bedrooms (taking new attic into account as bedroom, although I am aware it would probably not be classed as a official bedroom) and an office in the box room.

So what we are thinking of doing is creating a bedroom from main bathroom (will comply with min bedroom size) - so effectively we have 4 bedrooms on the first floor. Then in the attic we are thinking of creating a nice sized main bathroom with separate bath and shower etc.. for the kids to use, along with a small separate office. So we retain a separate office space (which we need for work) but now have 4 bedrooms to accommodate the kids.

My husband is going to talk to his friend first who is a plumber to see if there are any big flaws with moving the bathroom to the attic before we get someone out to properly look at the feasibility of this idea. We are aware we will need to apply for planning permission as we would want a small velux to the front for the office area, and possibly one to the side for the new stairs & new small attic landing. We are also think we'd want sound proofing and also my husband was saying about additional/new pump for water pressure.

But I wanted to check if there is any regulations regarding moving bathrooms to the attic, or not having a main bathroom on the first floor etc?? Just trying to gauge if the idea is completely impractical before we spend too much time thinking/planning, etc..

Back