How long does it take to settle into new job?

MandaC

Question for you folks, how long would you give a new position to decide whether or not it is for you?

I think you pretty much know in the first month. It takes about 2 weeks just to get your head around the move and about 4-6 weeks to get to know your colleagues. From previous experience and that of my friends if you are not used to it by the 6 weeks it may not be for you.

I'd say give it a month, most jobs are are doing the same tasks over and over, it's down to your work mates and the customers you deal with(if any)... It's all about fitting in, don't really know what angle your coming from MandaC , if it's the people or the job tasks?

It depends whether it's the work or the work place culture you're having issues with.

If you took on challenging work and are having difficulties coping, it may only be teething problems that you will deal with over time. I think a month would be too short a period to allow - six months would be more reasonable IMHO. If you've set some ambitious targets for yourself, give yourself a reasonable period to achieve them before you consider quitting.

If it's the people and/or culture of an organisation, aske yourself whether your problem is the new culture you have to deal with or just that you miss the comfort of your old one. If it's the latter, then tough it out. It takes time to develop the relationships you may have taken for granted in your old job.

On the other hand, if the new workplace has characteristics that you simply find fundamentaly unacceptable, then it would probably be advisable to leave sooner rather than later.

Thanks guys, I might give it a bit longer, but will see how it pans out. Not having any difficulties with the work itself, its more of the policies that I think I may have difficulties with long term. I am used to working as part of team and getting the job done where this may be more "blame game" and "cover your backside" culture and I dont subscribe to that.

Maybe its just me adapting from my previous job, will give it a bit longer and see how it goes.

I am used to working as part of team and getting the job done where this may be more "blame game" and "cover your backside" culture and I dont subscribe to that.

Lucky you, you got a job in the civil service ;).

I moved from one section (legal) to another (IT) in the same company. For about 6 months I hated it, I asked to move back and was asked to give it another couple of months to adjust. A year and a bit later I wouldn't move back for love nor money! I've grown to really like the job and i think it's mainly because of growing in confidence about the job i'm doing.

No, it's not civil service - not that handy.

Maybe it is just me having trouble settling(awkard individual that I am) but my gut feeling is no, and they say, trust your gut feeling.

Will give it six weeks and see do I feel any different then.

I found that I knew what I was doing after 2 weeks but it took me six months to settle into the company and like it ! Have no intention of leaving at all now!

I knew after a couple of weeks last year that my new job was unsuitable (both on a work and work environment level) and within 6 weeks was looking for a new job.

On a side issue, I found recruitment agencies very unreceptive to the idea that I had been in the job such a short time and many simply did not believe me when I explained the issues. I did one interview during that period for a similar job and they were negative about my leaving the current job so soon. I ended up staying 5 months in the job before moving on. Looking back now, I would have better off pretending I'd been travelling for 2 months and completely omitting the job from my CV.

IOn a side issue, I found recruitment agencies very unreceptive to the idea that I had been in the job such a short time and many simply did not believe me when I explained the issues.

In the circumstances, they may have had to refund your new employer or find them a replacement. Either way, it's a cost they would prefer to have avoided.

I did not take that post from Purpeller that it was the recruitment company (if any) that got him/her the job that had an issue with the short stay. More so in trying to register for a new job with various agencies.

I did not get mine through a recruitment agency, so no hassle in that dept. Still unsure about a couple of things, but will give it a bit longer. I dont like the commute (1.15hrs) each way including standing like a sardine on the Luas every morning, when previously had a ten minute drive is not helping!

I know from experience of a colleague that starting in a new job can be difficult. In his instance, it took 6 months and now he wouldn't leave. Key was a positive friendly disposition at all times- that ensured all existing staff let him into their 'world' etc

Hope it works out for you

I did not take that post from Purpeller that it was the recruitment company (if any) that got him/her the job that had an issue with the short stay. More so in trying to register for a new job with various agencies.

That's right - it was other agencies.

Question for you folks, how long would you give a new position to decide whether or not it is for you?

How long is a piece of string? Everyone is different. Firstly if you have any doubts in your mind that what your doing is boring you to death leave. Secondly the people you work with can play a major factor. If you know that what your doing is for you dont be put off doing it because of some other ass**** giving you grief in the work place (bullies). Thats the way I look at it and its worked for me so far. :)

How long is a piece of string? Everyone is different. Firstly if you have any doubts in your mind that what your doing is boring you to death leave. Secondly the people you work with can play a major factor. If you know that what your doing is for you dont be put off doing it because of some other ass**** giving you grief in the work place (bullies). Thats the way I look at it and its worked for me so far. :)

Thats exactly how I look at things. I can be a bit gung-ho with these type of things and just wanted to get other peoples feelings on it. Let's just say there are some work practices I dont agree with. I do things a certain way and I dont take short cuts because they come back and bite you in the backside. In fairness, most of the people are lovely, I had already put the office bully in their box, that type of thing does not bother me.

I think deep down you know on the first day...... If you have made the wrong move you will need to wait and ride the crest of the wave so to speak.

Of course the agencies wont touch you with a barge pole as they would have to refund their fee, thats if it was paid before you leave ;)

It sounds as if you will be well able to just wait it out and see if you want tutor yourself to fit in.

Of course the agencies wont touch you with a barge pole as they would have to refund their fee, thats if it was paid before you leave ;)
This only applies to the one agency that placed you. Most other agencies will be quite happy to move you on, once they get their commission.

Did not get job through any agency...so no issues on that score. Am going to give it a couple of weeks longer and take it from there.

Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster! Just wondering if the opening poster is still in this job. I started a job couple of months back and still not sure if it's for me...

Back