My Boss is trying to get rid of me

I second Suellen, gets costs in writing first, and you won't be worried about a surprise bill at the end.
Well done on taking things in hand, and the best of luck.

Nicola

Hi all have seen an employment solicitor who is 100% confident I will win my case,lodged a complaint into EATand reckons it could be sept/oct before anything comes of same.doesn't know how mush compo will be awarded but says two years salary is very very rare.Should i let this run or fold?

Hi Galaxyman
I'm not sure what you mean by 'run or fold'? Do you mean not go ahead with the case?
Your solicitor seems very confident that you will win.
Even if you did not get two years compensation, you will still in all likelihood get compensated.
I think you have made the right decisions so far, stick with it would be my advise.
You have nothing to win by 'folding', but you may end up with a bit of a nest egg by going ahead. You are also in a position where you will need to get another job: have you managed this yet? If not you are currently without a wage.
This is not 'compo' culture (which I despise!): you have been treated very badly and are stuck without a job as a result of this. You are also protected in law from being treated like this.
Please take the advise of your solicitor,
The best of luck :)

Regards
Nicola

Good advice on costs. A (true) little story;
A friend of mine took a case against her employer, engaged a solicitor from a major Dublin firm. Said solicitor who told her that she was 100% sure my friend would win. 10 months, a few letters and a bill for €24'000 later she lost. She complained that the advice she got was incorrect in law and the bill was dropped to €9'500. As far as I am concerned she should have paid nothing.

Hi Galaxyman
I'm not sure what you mean by 'run or fold'? Do you mean not go ahead with the case?
Your solicitor seems very confident that you will win.
Even if you did not get two years compensation, you will still in all likelihood get compensated.
I think you have made the right decisions so far, stick with it would be my advise.
You have nothing to win by 'folding', but you may end up with a bit of a nest egg by going ahead. You are also in a position where you will need to get another job: have you managed this yet? If not you are currently without a wage.
This is not 'compo' culture (which I despise!): you have been treated very badly and are stuck without a job as a result of this. You are also protected in law from being treated like this.
Please take the advise of your solicitor,
The best of luck :)

Regards
Nicola

Sorry Nicola,What I meant by run or fold was just run with just a case of unfair dismissal which solicitor is confident about and fold on a seperate bullying case which is harder to prove,maybe would involve a high court and all expense that can bring.No I haven't secured another job as he has given me a really crap reference and thats another thing I will be fighting for.25 years in the same place does your head in!

That's grim, Galaxyman.
Does anyone here know the legal position for references in situations like this? (any solicitors able to help here?).
I do not know if you would have work appraisals/performance reviews from over the past few years to refer to (I'm guessing not, if a family business), or testimonials from your colleagues maybe?
I am aware that someone can decline to give a reference, but giving an unmerited 'bad' reference is something else entirely, (you could refer to your performance related pay increases over the last few years, for example, in defence of your work.)
Has your solicitor given you any advise re your reference?
What do other AAM-ers think about a bullying case?
At the very least, things are moving forward for you though, which is positive

Nicola

Bullying cases are notoriously difficult in a court setting, however strong they may appear. It may be worth doing a search for cases in the courts database and making an assessment for yourself. There are people whose lives have been destroyed by bullying and the court either found in the employer's favor or watered down the result so much it was hardly worth bringing. Take careful legal advice on whether the aggravation is worth it. High Court is very expensive to bring a case to. Unfair dismissal is far more clear cut.

Mediation is even better - there are professional mediators (usually solicitors) and your solicitor may want to suggest this as an alternative to court proceedings.

Maybe now that you're unemployed you could go down the route of legal aid? At least you wouldn't get stung with a nasty legal fee. Best of Luck

Hiya
Is your company a big one? Are they still hiring other people at the moment?

Back