Tax assessment for a widow

taxpayer

Hi

My father passed away last year and was in receipt of a work pension. My mother has since been in receipt of this pension but we noticed that she is been taxed emergency tax since it was transferred to her.

How can I go about getting this sorted for her. We contacted a local tax consultant but are thinking of going with someone else as he hasent been very productive. Ie we booked him 9 months ago and he hasent been in touch with her solicitor yet?

Anyway I need to know whats involved when looking for a new tax consultant. She doesn't work and has a dependent with special needs. Also she is going through a grant of probate process which is almost complete.

Regards
Tax Payer

I would start by contacting Revenue, won't cost you anything and they may be able to sort it out simply.

She needs to contact the tax office with details of the pension payers employers registration number. The tax office will allocate a certain amount of her credits and standard rate band her widows pension then the balance to her other pension.

This should reduce the level of tax deducted.

She needs to get hold of the employer registration number of whoever is paying the pension and then complete a form 12a. After that the overpaid PAYE will be refunded to her.

Back