Being billed for Meteor broadband 'free trial'

shoestring

I got a mobile broadband fob from Meteor middle of last month to see if we could improve our rubbish internet. I signed all the docs etc as you have to do. Brought it home, tried it at various locations around the house, no joy. I brought it back to shop the very next day. I assumed that was the end of it due to their '7 day FREE trial' splattered all over their site and documentation.

Low and behold I receive a bill yesterday. I rang the shop today. The lady in the shop said I had to pay the bill. Thats a funny kind of free trial to me. She gave me a different customer service number to ring which I will after lunch. Anyone any experience of this?

You probably had to opt out of the service. It won't automatically cut off after 7 days. Same at Netflix - a month free trial - and then you have to cancel it.

Had something similar with Vodaphone some time back.

Suggest , send back the bill , state you cancelled it and thank them.
Make sure you keep full copies of what you send and note any phone calls.
Do not get into long winded (I said-you-said) just do not pay.
Eventually they will go away.
Seems to be a thing with these communication people?

What was the opt out procedure on the document you signed? Did you retain a copy? Almost all will state you must terminate the agreement in writing, and just handing equipment back isn't enough. Meteor site is pretty poor though, no link to the T&Cs.

Update- Rang customer care number I got from the lady in the shop (its not on the website, the website is pants). Turns out its the shop's fault ,did not press some button or other to close account properely. Just as well I decided to ring, the person is the shop was all gung ho for me to go to post office and pay.

Back