UPC for Phone + Broadband

F

flowerman

Hi,we are living in Dublin and we are sick and tired of waiting for Eircom to give us fibre broadband.We were prommised it for last October 2013.All we get these days are endless excuses from them for the last year on why it hasnt happned yet.:rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me what are UPC like for phone and broadband?
Is it a reliable service and whats the broadband speed like.Is it a constant high speed?

What do you actually get with UPC when you ask for a phone and BB package,do you get any free calls or minutes at all?

Thanks.

Ive UPC broadband, phone and TV. The broadband speed is always good. Service is usually good, though I did go through a period earlier in the year where it became unreliable for a few weeks. I have their phone service, but I dont use it very much as I have a good mobile package.

I have UPC, phone, tv, broadband, when they carry out repairs / upgrades etc in your area you do lose all services, there is no advance notice generally provided, very annoying, broadband speed fine with a wired connection, the wireless is hopeless to the extent that UPC recommend extenders themselves.

Thanks for the advice.
I wired our entire home myself with Cat6 for futureproofing so everything is hardwired.I wont be relying on wifi as I prefer a direct hard wired connection for all our media devices.
Myself and my wife are just sick and tired of Eircoms excuses and false prommises over the last year.6.8mb BB is not good enough in 2014
Glad to hear that UPC offer a good service and is reliable for speeds.Think I will go with them so.
Thanks.

I have UPC. Broadband is excellent, possibly the best there is. Wireless on the Horizon box is brutal and will quite likely need to be supplemented with ethernet, powerline adapter, or your own wireless bridge. Phone service is fine, and Anytime packages are OK. I use VoIP phone with a different service which gives me most landline calls for free, cheap international mobile calls, and I'm able to route Ireland mobile calls alone to UPC, so that I get my full free Anytime 150 minutes on the most expensive mobile calls.

This is the wholesale site
http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ and may give a better idea on what is going on.

Thanks for that.
Eircom have said to us since December 13 that E-Fibre was in our area.And it does indicate that on the Eircom map in your link
They claimed that the local exchange junction box on my road needed to be switched over to accept fibre broadband and that we would have it in 2 weeks time.That prommise has been made on about 10 different occasions now since last December.Then they said our phone line outside would need to be taken down and a new fibre line installed to the house,this would happen in a weeks time.Again that excuse has been given to us over and over again since December 13.

I know all that has to be done but Im just sick and tired of all of the Eircom carrry on,excuses and delays at this stage.Im paying 35 euro per month for a very slow 6.8mb bb and for a bad crackly phone line too
Im sick of all the Eircom excuses at this stage.

UPC broadband speed is excellent but dont get the Horizon tv package. We switched recently to it (as we moved house) and it is awful.

I know all that has to be done but Im just sick and tired of all of the Eircom carrry on,excuses and delays at this stage.Im paying 35 euro per month for a very slow 6.8mb bb and for a bad crackly phone line too
Im sick of all the Eircom excuses at this stage.

I dream of having broadband speed that fast. I get less than 2mb where I live. UPC aren't available in my area, so I looked around for other providers. Magnet told me they would get me 5mb, no problem. Complete lie and because they use VOIP, the phone and internet wouldn't work at the same time. So I went back to Eircom last month and I'm waiting for eFibre. Maybe my children's children will see the day. :rolleyes:

UPC broadband speed is excellent but dont get the Horizon tv package. We switched recently to it (as we moved house) and it is awful.
Thanks,I have heard some bad things about Horizon allright.
I dont want or need Horizon.I wired our house with 3 x co-ax and 3 x Cat6 to each room and TV location in the house.Installed a 90cm sat dish out back and also have set top boxes with android and IP TV functionality built into them.

So all I will be looking for is a good BB and telephone package with a clear phone line and a good constant BB speed.

With that kind of setup and those requirements, UPC is definitely the best option available. As a new customer, you'll also enjoy a tasty discount for the first 6 months and free connection, etc. Thereafter, every 12 months when your contract expires, ring up their "loyalty department" and haggle for some further concession — see this rolling thread on Boards.ie). The only thing I don't like about UPC is the extra cost if you don't want to pay by DD.

I dream of having broadband speed that fast. I get less than 2mb where I live. UPC aren't available in my area, so I looked around for other providers. Magnet told me they would get me 5mb, no problem. Complete lie and because they use VOIP, the phone and internet wouldn't work at the same time. So I went back to Eircom last month and I'm waiting for eFibre. Maybe my children's children will see the day. :rolleyes:

And I dream of having BB speed that fast - I get less than 1mb..... :rolleyes:

They were required by law to remove the charge. Instead you now get a €3.75/month "discount" if you pay by DD. :rolleyes:

I have had UPC in three houses now and overall the broadband is poor. I supposedly have 200mb but Id be lucky most nights when I use it to have anywhere near 6.8Mb, I ofetn get 404 timeouts with the horixzon box!. If it were a one off Id say it was unlucky but I have had the same problems with all 3 houses. Their product is cheap and the quality is reflected in that. I have rung them dozens of times from all properties. Customer service is good but they just cant do anything. By all means switch but dont expect miracles.

Was having a look at that map and noticed Kilternan had a blue dot beside it so I gave Eircom a call. It's due to be completed on 15 October and they should have it fitted in my house on 22 october. Up to 90mb. :D

I have had UPC in three houses now and overall the broadband is poor. I supposedly have 200mb but Id be lucky most nights when I use it to have anywhere near 6.8Mb, I ofetn get 404 timeouts with the horixzon box!. If it were a one off Id say it was unlucky but I have had the same problems with all 3 houses. Their product is cheap and the quality is reflected in that. I have rung them dozens of times from all properties. Customer service is good but they just cant do anything. By all means switch but dont expect miracles.

I've read (probably on boards.ie) that there's some kind of local "concentrator" thing (sorry, don't know/understand details) that can affect your UPC broadband performance. Personally, I get the nominal 120 Mb down and 10 Mb up that I'm paying for every single time I test it. Never varies. And I'm a fussy broadband user so I test it fairly regularly. Although I have to plug in by ethernet because I can only get 55 Mbps over wireless.

Was having a look at that map and noticed Kilternan had a blue dot beside it so I gave Eircom a call. It's due to be completed on 15 October and they should have it fitted in my house on 22 october. Up to 90mb. :D
Just a heads up. If there is a confirmed exact date (15th Oct) it's on the 28 notice period that eircom wholesale have to give the retail operators before they can accept orders on the wholesale system for that cabinet. October 22nd is a preferred date - but it cannot be confirmed until the wholesale systems are opened for that cabinet (reserve port, schedule appointment etc)

Just a heads up. If there is a confirmed exact date (15th Oct) it's on the 28 notice period that eircom wholesale have to give the retail operators before they can accept orders on the wholesale system for that cabinet. October 22nd is a preferred date - but it cannot be confirmed until the wholesale systems are opened for that cabinet (reserve port, schedule appointment etc)

I don't really understand what you are saying. Will I have to wait until 13 November before I can get efibre? The fella in Eircom told me it was starting on 15 October, I could ring then and get a technician out to the house for 22 October.

Thanks for the heads up but you're the man that told a kid that Santa isn't coming until mid January. ;)

Back