Shopping trip to Newry - 2008 advice?

minion

As a slap in the face to our recent budget and the rise in VAT, im going to go up the North to do a heap of shopping in a few weeks. Call it a protest.

Has anyone any advice on the best places to go in Newry and the best exchange rates that the various shops are offering on Euro?

I know there was a thread here but its old and i am sure current info would be better. Thanks and screw you FF :)

The 2 major shopping centres are Buttercrane and The Quays. They are accross the road from each other. There is a retail park at the roundabout at the Armagh/Craigavon/Belfast junction.

hi, i was in Newry last week, i noticed a sign by supavalu offering 95p for every euro spent. Good rate of exchange or what ?

First things first, go early, if you go at a weekend, you almost certainly won't get parked from lunchtime onwards. Also, the supermarkets struggle some days to keep the shelves stocked

Secondly, be disciplined and learn the prices of things here before you go up, otherwise what looks like a bargain may not be so. Bulk buy to get full value for your fuel costs

having said that, wine, baby products and household detergents/washing powder etc are significantly cheaper. Nothing wrong with a lot of Sainsburys own brand products either

If Newry is crowded, there is another huge Sainsburys/Toys r us/Currys about another 20-30 minutes further north. We normally go there as it tends to be a bit less manic and stop in Banbridge on the way back as it's a lovely little town

I would second the advice to go early. Go midweek, if you can, as the weekends are crazy (I was in Sainsbury's at 10am one Saturday and barely escaped alive!) Sainsbury's opens at 8am every day except Sunday, when they don't open til 1pm. Avoid buying fuel north of the border - it's far more expensive than it is here. Most shops in Newry will accept Euro notes (some will take €1 and €2 coins too) but your change will be given in Sterling. Sainsbury's will not accept Laser cards. I think one or two other shops do, but best not to depend on that form of payment. Oh, and Sainsbury's shopping trolleys will accept £1 and €1 coins. As far as grocery shopping is concerned, I have very rarely noticed anything costing less in the Republic than it does up north (unless it's a special offer here).

Newry has become very busy over the last few weeks and it will only get worse the closer we get to christmas.

Strongly advise anyone to be there early. Sainsbury's is great - quality as well as value, but as others have said, do your homework and don't get carried away.

(As my granny never tires of saying - it's only a bargain if you need it)

Thanks guys. Might go up weekend after next. Are there any places that are open 24 hrs like Tesco in Ashbourne?

Do they all take Euro?

If you're a clothes shopper in the UK chain stores (principles, next, dorothy perkins, New Look, etc etc), you will make savings if you buy up north because of the "generous" exchange rate the shops use down here!

You'll find most of the shops between the two shopping centres in Newry.

Has anyone been to Asda in Kilkeel, Co Down?

Thanks guys. Might go up weekend after next. Are there any places that are open 24 hrs like Tesco in Ashbourne?

Do they all take Euro?

As previously stated, most shops in Newry will take Euro notes (some take €1 and €2 coins too). Sainsbury's in Newry is open from 8am until 10pm. There is a Tesco in Banbridge that stays open until midnight. I am not aware of any 24 hour supermarkets in the Newry area.

Could somebody please give details of where the Toysrus shop is please?

Last time I went shopping in Newry, it took me an hour to get to the border (from Dublin) and another hour to get into the Quays. Next time I go up, I might head into Banbridge.

hi, i was in Newry last week, i noticed a sign by supavalu offering 95p for every euro spent. Good rate of exchange or what ?
I checked them out when they were offering 85 to the Euro. They had a very limited stock and nearly all of it was dearer than anywhere else.

Is the outlet centre in banbridge or before it?Also is there an iceland in either newry or banbridge?

I've only ever tipped as far as newry early midweek and found it ok although the off licence seemed to get hectic around lunchtime,more dublin than northern accents too!

Are you better off taking the trip that bit further to banbridge?

Is the outlet centre in banbridge or before it?Also is there an iceland in either newry or banbridge?

I've only ever tipped as far as newry early midweek and found it ok although the off licence seemed to get hectic around lunchtime,more dublin than northern accents too!

Are you better off taking the trip that bit further to banbridge?
The Outlet is, they say, 15 mins further on from Newry. I'd take the 15mins with a grain of salt, but it's well signposted.

I was there yesterday. Sainsbury's exchange rate was 79.6p to the €1 and Dunnes was 80p to the €1. It wasn't any busier than any other supermarket in Dublin on a Friday. You can check out all Sainsbury's prices on their website before you go (, then click on the dept's you are interested in. Dunnes only show their weekly specials on their website.

Could somebody please give details of where the Toysrus shop is please?
Its part of the Sprucefield complex about 30mins from Newry where the A1 road meets the M1. There's a large Sainsburys there, Argos Extra, and a few others I can't remember.

By the way I found Toys r Us quite expensive. There's a large smyths in a retail park on the northern side of Newry which was cheaper but not much cheaper than the prices this side of the border.

Back