€90 Labor cost for Roofer -for 10 minute job -reasonable?

toni_mrphy

Hi

A few months back I had a cracked tile on my roof & a bit of the Fascia missing at the side .
I got a roofer out who glued the tile back together and said he would be back to replace the missing bit On the side - he never came back though I rang and emailed him .

I recently got a bill for €115.77 from him .
When i asked him to breakout the cost he provided the below ( I know it doesn't add up to the original bill but this is what he provided )

Callout to carry temporary repair to roof tile: €90.00
Materials: €12.00

Can anyone advise if this is a reasonable cost - it just seems a bit excessive for a 10 minute job

Thanks
T

Yes, it's excessive, it hurts ... but it's similar a call out electrician, plumber, alarm repair guy, etc, call out charge is the killer... Guess it covers their insurance, travel time.

Seems that the work is not completed though - assume that the "glue" solution isn't going to last much longer on the tile (what type of roof tile is it?). You are entitled to a invoice, detailing VAT breakdown and the work carried out. If the issue isn't resolved to your satisfaction, then you should state that to him.

Whether it took 10mins or an hour, it's the work done that is being paid for, but from your post, the work wasn't done to what was agreed originally.

Don't know about roofers but a lot of tradesmen charge about €70 call out charge before doing anything. I'm not sure if that's including vat or not.

You are paying for experience and the skill to do the job.

Seems like you he was fair on the materials mind.

I had a roofer on my roof recently, no way I would skip around the roof the way he did. No fear.

Worth paying for.

You are paying for experience and the skill to do the job.

Seems like you he was fair on the materials mind.

I had a roofer on my roof recently, no way I would skip around the roof the way he did. No fear.

Worth paying for.

There are plenty of jobs that some people wouldn't do and others would. I wouldn't remove bunions for peoples feet but I don't think a chiropodist should charge a €90 call out.
I recently had a plumber come to the house. He was there 30 minutes. He charged €45. The valve he replaced was free as he said he had one spare from a previous job.

did he suggest and did you agree to glueing the tile ? If so, he might have been conscious of keeping costs down. Otherwise he could have charged for a new tile and possibly more labour.

I wouldn't let one of those guys on my roof who wanted to sell me a chimney steel cover/guard for birds as I reckoned he didn't have insurance and he could have sued if he had fallen.

By the sounds of it, 90EUR is a bit higher than a standard call out but maybe he has insurance to factor into his call out costs...

If you didn't negotiate/ agree a price in advance, then you can't complain after the fact.

You should never let anyone do work without agreeing the pricing structure/ terms in advance.

I got a roofer out who glued the tile back together and said he would be back to replace the missing bit On the side - he never came back though I rang and emailed him .
If you pay this bill you are implicitly stating agreement with what appears to be shoddy workmanship. It is clear from your post that this work was not done to your satisfaction and you have evidence of having contacted the roofer subsequently to state this. Rervert to him with a copy of previous contact stating that you will pay the bill when the works are completed to your satisfaction.

If you pay this bill you are implicitly stating agreement with what appears to be shoddy workmanship. It is clear from your post that this work was not done to your satisfaction and you have evidence of having contacted the roofer subsequently to state this. Rervert to him with a copy of previous contact stating that you will pay the bill when the works are completed to your satisfaction.

+1 If the job is not complete then tell him you will pay him when it is complete to your satisfaction and only then.

+1 If the job is not complete then tell him you will pay him when it is complete to your satisfaction and only then.
So what if he charges another €150 to do the fascia ? I would pay him. The price sounds right. He is obviously unreliable and better to get someone who is not than be playing games with this guy.

Back